Author Topic: Full sync fail  (Read 6039 times)

Offline DavidHoffmanuk

• View Profile
Re: Full sync fail
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2022, 01:08:42 AM »
That would be a better solution but are the long headlines part of the problem I'm having with sync when a drive is offline?

David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2022, 09:01:49 AM »
David,

That would be a better solution but are the long headlines part of the problem I'm having with sync when a drive is offline?

No.  Unrelated to your original issue, but you had mentioned non-responsiveness on startup before and I had advised you to delete all of the Collections created by Catalog Sync as a way to mitigate that issue.  That may have helped, but it's the sorting of the long strings of text in your Headline fields that are the main culprit there.

-Kirk

Offline DavidHoffmanuk

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2022, 01:44:03 AM »
DavidHoffmanuk
The long headline fields in those files are a legacy problem from a broken DB and a lack of skill here. I don't want to just delete all the headlines and I can't see an obvious way to shorten them in PM+. I could export them, truncate and embed them back again with Media Pro but would that upset MP+? Or is there a way in PM+ for me to copy the first 50 characters from the caption into a headline field?

Kirk Baker
Yes, it's possible, but I'd rather make it so that the Catalog system can handle long fields and shorten them for display purposes such that the burden isn't placed on the user.

Can you point me at some info as to how I could do operations like this - extracting or replacing a string defined by its position or by delimiter characters from a metadata field? It would be useful in a variety of situations.

David Hoffman

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2022, 09:27:37 AM »
David,

DavidHoffmanuk
The long headline fields in those files are a legacy problem from a broken DB and a lack of skill here. I don't want to just delete all the headlines and I can't see an obvious way to shorten them in PM+. I could export them, truncate and embed them back again with Media Pro but would that upset MP+? Or is there a way in PM+ for me to copy the first 50 characters from the caption into a headline field?

Kirk Baker
Yes, it's possible, but I'd rather make it so that the Catalog system can handle long fields and shorten them for display purposes such that the burden isn't placed on the user.

Can you point me at some info as to how I could do operations like this - extracting or replacing a string defined by its position or by delimiter characters from a metadata field? It would be useful in a variety of situations.

https://docs.camerabits.com/support/solutions/articles/48000207639
https://docs.camerabits.com/support/solutions/articles/48001077381-variable-substring-extraction

More advanced:
https://docs.camerabits.com/support/solutions/articles/48000223660-introduction-to-code-replacements-in-photo-mechanic
https://docs.camerabits.com/support/solutions/articles/48000358641-advanced-code-replacements
https://docs.camerabits.com/support/solutions/articles/48000358684-hot-codes

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline DavidHoffmanuk

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2022, 10:03:29 AM »
The variable substring extraction article is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Strangely, the colons don't show (except the ones in bold) on either of my Mac 10.14.6 systems when I use Chrome but they are there if I copy & paste or use Safari.

David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2022, 10:32:25 AM »
David,

The variable substring extraction article is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Strangely, the colons don't show (except the ones in bold) on either of my Mac 10.14.6 systems when I use Chrome but they are there if I copy & paste or use Safari.

I checked https://docs.camerabits.com/support/solutions/articles/48001077381-variable-substring-extraction on Chrome on my macOS 10.14.6 system and they're showing up.  Which article(s) didn't work?

-Kirk

Offline DavidHoffmanuk

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2022, 10:48:29 AM »

I checked https://docs.camerabits.com/support/solutions/articles/48001077381-variable-substring-extraction on Chrome on my macOS 10.14.6 system and they're showing up.  Which article(s) didn't work?

-Kirk

[/quote]

The one you refer to. Here's a screenshot. The colons show in a pdf print OK.

David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2022, 12:49:47 PM »
How very strange.

Offline DavidHoffmanuk

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2022, 07:34:09 AM »
I will likely need to add additional logging and make you a new build.

Thanks Kirk
I've installed the new build & run a reintegration. Same as before, stalls at 98%. Log attached.
David

Offline DavidHoffmanuk

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2022, 09:38:57 AM »
Not unexpectedly, the catalog required reintegration after the previous failed  one. That went as normal.

Should I stick with the special build or revert to the standard download?

David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2022, 09:46:58 AM »
David,

Not unexpectedly, the catalog required reintegration after the previous failed  one. That went as normal.

Should I stick with the special build or revert to the standard download?

The special build is preferred for the near term.

Can you tell me the names of the drives that you had offline during the reintegrate?  If you don't want to state them publicly, you can send me a personal message.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline DavidHoffmanuk

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2022, 10:19:03 AM »
Just the one drive. It's called Raws copy 1

Should I keep debug logging on?

David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2022, 10:47:19 AM »
David,

Just the one drive. It's called Raws copy 1

Should I keep debug logging on?

You can turn it off until the next test.

What can you tell me about the changes that have happened to this file?

.../Raw files to burn/090328_Put_People_1st/090328_Put_People_First_052.NEF

(I don't know what drive it is on).  Has it been renamed?  Moved?  Metadata changed?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline DavidHoffmanuk

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2022, 11:01:55 AM »
The file 090328_Put_People_First_052.NEF is on a drive named Perky. It hasn't been modified since 28 Mar 2009. There's an .xmp file associated from 16 Sep 2018 but that shouldn't have made any change in the .NEF - confirmed by the modified date. It would have been named on ingest and not likely to have been renamed. I just opened it - it seems perfectly normal, no different from the frames before and after.

I've attached a dump of the metadata.

David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2022, 12:09:11 PM »
David,

The file 090328_Put_People_First_052.NEF is on a drive named Perky. It hasn't been modified since 28 Mar 2009. There's an .xmp file associated from 16 Sep 2018 but that shouldn't have made any change in the .NEF - confirmed by the modified date.

Does that file also exist on the offline volume at the following location?

Raws copy 1/Raw files to burn/090328_Put_People_1st/090328_Put_People_First_052.NEF

Thanks,

-Kirk