Author Topic: How do you install an XMP panel  (Read 8819 times)

Offline davidkl

• View Profile
How do you install an XMP panel
« on: May 02, 2007, 12:01:09 PM »
Hi Kirk,
I have an XML text file from Getty to use for adding metadata. I am able to install the panel into Photoshop directories but would like to use this panel in PM when adding metadata. How do I install this?
thanks.
David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: How do you install an XMP panel
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 12:02:25 PM »
David,

I have an XML text file from Getty to use for adding metadata. I am able to install the panel into Photoshop directories but would like to use this panel in PM when adding metadata. How do I install this?
thanks.

We do not support XMP panels in Photo Mechanic.  That is a feature supported by Adobe products.

-Kirk

Offline RobertE

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 03:51:46 AM »
Hi Kirk,

XMP Custom Panels are part of the IPTC Core spec.

-- Robert.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 06:41:34 AM »
Robert,

XMP Custom Panels are part of the IPTC Core spec.

While I agree that there is a document titled:

"IPTC Core" Schema for XMP

Version 1.0

Supplemental Documentation

Custom Panels User Guide

And that it shows the XMP panels being used in Photoshop CS, nowhere that I can find does it document the layout of the custom panel files.

We support every field described in the IPTC4XMP specification.  While I think it would be nice to support custom XMP panels it is not necessary (or even desired) to support the same IPTC Core panels that Photoshop uses to allow editing of metadata because it provides a poor user experience (several fields appear in more than one location, like how Author in the Description page is later called Creator in the IPTC Contact page which is both confusing and redundant.)

I don't believe that the IPTC Core Schema for XMP specification document says that you must support XMP custom panels.  It just specifies the schema of the XML, names fields and explains their usage.  I just read through it again, and nowhere does it say anything about XMP panels.

If I'm wrong about any of this, please do correct me.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline davidkl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 06:16:00 AM »
Hi Kirk,
I used the custom panel provided for me in CS2 and entered the data. I would expect to see the data in PM. For example, the panal allows me to enter the keywords, which do show up in PM. However, I enter data into the Headline in the panel but don't see it in PM. How am I able to see the data from the panel in PM?
David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 06:22:42 AM »
David,

I used the custom panel provided for me in CS2 and entered the data. I would expect to see the data in PM. For example, the panal allows me to enter the keywords, which do show up in PM. However, I enter data into the Headline in the panel but don't see it in PM. How am I able to see the data from the panel in PM?

Is this a custom Headline?  If it doesn't map to the IPTC4XMP core field of the same "name" then we aren't going to see it.

If you want to send me a file that has your data in it, I'd be happy to look at it.

-Kirk

Offline davidkl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 06:31:14 AM »
Do you want a picture (.tiff file) or the XMP Panel file?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 06:45:00 AM »
David,

Do you want a picture (.tiff file) or the XMP Panel file?

An image file would be best.  Contact me privately by clicking on my name to the left of this message.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline davidkl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 01:45:51 PM »
anything new oh this, Kirk? Do you have everything you need from me?
Thanks.
David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2007, 04:56:12 PM »
David,

anything new oh this, Kirk? Do you have everything you need from me?

I'm sorry it took so long to respond.  I have taken ill with the flu over the last 24 hours and it is really slowing me down.  I searched for that text you described above, and it is located in tags like so:

<GYI:gyi_meta_description>... speaking on a cordless telephone ...</GYI:gyi_meta_description>

Since Photo Mechanic knows nothing about the GYI namespace, it does not show it, but Photo Mechanic will preserve it such that even if you edit the caption with PM, it will not be lost.

Supporting custom XMP panels is not a trivial exercise and is not on my immediate list of things to work on.

Regards,

-Kirk