Author Topic: Combine Jpeg and RAW  (Read 2010 times)

Offline fourdogslong

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Combine Jpeg and RAW
« on: January 18, 2022, 11:41:42 AM »
I`m currently switching from mac to PC, I rebuilt my catalog from scratch because my old one had some weird duplicate issues in it.

I use mainly Capture One as my RAW developer with sessions so my pictures are organized in organized folder.
I have a folder with the name of the event and in each one of these folders there is a Capture, Select and Export folder. In Capture and Select are my RAW files and in Export are my Jpeg files.

On the mac I could select my main Event folder and see all the photos in it and the photos that were developed to jpeg were shown as combined with the Raw versions even though they were in two different subfolder on the computer.

Now on the PC, I don't see them as combined anymore unless I move the jpeg from my Export folder the the Select folder and then back to the Export folder. I can't do that for all my pictures I`ll die of old age before I get it done.

What`s causing this? I'd really prefer to see my combined images like I used to on the mac.

Offline fourdogslong

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Combine Jpeg and RAW
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 12:00:12 PM »
Also, I'm noticing that this doesn't happen with all pictures, some are combined properly, some are not. The names all match...

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2022, 12:07:16 PM »
Also, I'm noticing that this doesn't happen with all pictures, some are combined properly, some are not. The names all match...

Please provide full paths to a few of the RAWs and the JPEGs that do not combine.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline fourdogslong

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2022, 12:19:35 PM »
"C:\Users\mathi\Pictures\2019\Clémentine\02-Select\20190503-00.ARW"
"C:\Users\mathi\Pictures\2019\Clémentine\03-Export\20190503-00.jpg"

"C:\Users\mathi\Pictures\2019\Grossesse suite\02-Select\20190120-218.ARW"
"C:\Users\mathi\Pictures\2019\Grossesse suite\03-Export\20190120-218.jpg"

"C:\Users\mathi\Pictures\2021\Photoshoot de Noël\02-Select\20211218-003.ARW"
"C:\Users\mathi\Pictures\2021\Photoshoot de Noël\03-Export\20211218-003.jpg"

After further investigation I believe the ones that seem to be combined are combined because they`re in the same folder.

I also have a weird issue with a picture that was renamed with a A at the end even though there is no other picture with the same name in its folder, when I try to rename it using PM the photo gets offline and is still shown with the A at the end but in file explorer the photo has been renamed. The only way to fix it is to add back the A in the file explorer, then it goes online again.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2022, 12:50:54 PM »
"C:\Users\mathi\Pictures\2019\Clémentine\02-Select\20190503-00.ARW"
"C:\Users\mathi\Pictures\2019\Clémentine\03-Export\20190503-00.jpg"

"C:\Users\mathi\Pictures\2019\Grossesse suite\02-Select\20190120-218.ARW"
"C:\Users\mathi\Pictures\2019\Grossesse suite\03-Export\20190120-218.jpg"

"C:\Users\mathi\Pictures\2021\Photoshoot de Noël\02-Select\20211218-003.ARW"
"C:\Users\mathi\Pictures\2021\Photoshoot de Noël\03-Export\20211218-003.jpg"

After further investigation I believe the ones that seem to be combined are combined because they`re in the same folder.

Are you opening the two folders into a single contact sheet, or are you looking at a contact sheet that is the result of some Catalog query (search/browse/filter)?  Catalog results will only combine if the two images are in the same folder.

I also have a weird issue with a picture that was renamed with a A at the end even though there is no other picture with the same name in its folder, when I try to rename it using PM the photo gets offline and is still shown with the A at the end but in file explorer the photo has been renamed. The only way to fix it is to add back the A in the file explorer, then it goes online again.

Can I see your rename settings?  Or are you renaming the thumbnail directly by double-clicking the filename on the thumbnail?

-Kirk

Offline fourdogslong

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2022, 01:17:42 PM »
Oh I see what`s happening, I was seeing the combined image in the explorer portion of PM6+, I thought the behavior would be the same in the catalog as well.

Is there any option that have the catalog behave the same?

As for the renaming, I was trying to rename the file inside the catalog with the right click / rename dialog. I didn't use any variables this time because I wanted a specific name, I tried to rename 20190413-01A to 20190413-01 to be precise but as I said the file then goes offline, the file is properly renamed in the windows file explorer but PM6+ still looks for 20190413-01A and of course can't find it.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2022, 01:57:56 PM »
Oh I see what`s happening, I was seeing the combined image in the explorer portion of PM6+, I thought the behavior would be the same in the catalog as well.

Is there any option that have the catalog behave the same?

No.  Opening two folders into a single contact sheet is a manual process and the joining is artificial.  There is no equivalent in the Catalog.

As for the renaming, I was trying to rename the file inside the catalog with the right click / rename dialog. I didn't use any variables this time because I wanted a specific name, I tried to rename 20190413-01A to 20190413-01 to be precise but as I said the file then goes offline, the file is properly renamed in the windows file explorer but PM6+ still looks for 20190413-01A and of course can't find it.

Can you post your Rename dialog settings, please?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline fourdogslong

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2022, 05:44:17 PM »
I didn't get a chance to look at the rename issue.

As for the combined image in the catalog. Is it normal that if both Raw and Jpeg were in the same folder and then the Jpeg was moved to another folder under a same root folder (inside the catalog), the images still appear combined afterward?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2022, 09:06:04 AM »
As for the combined image in the catalog. Is it normal that if both Raw and Jpeg were in the same folder and then the Jpeg was moved to another folder under a same root folder (inside the catalog), the images still appear combined afterward?

Perhaps it shouldn't.  The pairing occurs when the images are added to the catalog.  If they're moved such that they shouldn't pair, then some data in the catalog needs to be updated but apparently this is not happening.

-Kirk

Offline fourdogslong

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2022, 10:02:19 AM »
Ok that's what I thought, just wanted to make sure so I don't rely on that technique only to lose all the combinations in a later update.