Author Topic: Sort by transmission time  (Read 1240 times)

Offline dpa_Tim

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Sort by transmission time
« on: January 21, 2022, 10:41:18 AM »
Hello,

I am working as a photo editor for a news agency. At some events were our photographers don't have the opportunity to edit their pictures themselves they use to transmit selected pics directly out of the camera on to a remote server where editors like me edit the pictures. To do so, we use photo mechanic.

Now the problem: The pictures on the contact sheet are usualy sortet by capture time. If the photographer is transmitting pictures he made a while ago they will be displayed not on top of the contact sheet but somewhere in between. That makes it very hard to keep the overview which pictures I have seen already and wich are new.

The solution would be:"Sort by transmission time" or "Sort by import time" or something like that. Is there any way to get this done? This feature would help us a lot in our daily job.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Sort by transmission time
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 10:48:23 AM »
Tim,

I am working as a photo editor for a news agency. At some events were our photographers don't have the opportunity to edit their pictures themselves they use to transmit selected pics directly out of the camera on to a remote server where editors like me edit the pictures. To do so, we use photo mechanic.

Now the problem: The pictures on the contact sheet are usualy sortet by capture time. If the photographer is transmitting pictures he made a while ago they will be displayed not on top of the contact sheet but somewhere in between. That makes it very hard to keep the overview which pictures I have seen already and wich are new.

The solution would be:"Sort by transmission time" or "Sort by import time" or something like that. Is there any way to get this done? This feature would help us a lot in our daily job.

Where would this transmission time come information from?  What application/server is receiving the transmitted images?

Wouldn't sorting my modification time work for your needs?

-Kirk

Offline dpa_Tim

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 11:28:49 AM »
Hello Kirk,

thank you very much for your fast reply.

Modification time dont help much because we edit the pics as well so every editing is a modification and would kick the picture up.

The server the pictures are transmitted on is an egnyte server.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 01:57:27 PM »
OK, I'm not sure how I can implement what you're asking for.  Photo Mechanic won't be part of the file transmission and unless there's some metadata in the file with the transmission time, then PM won't have the data it needs to accomplish the task.

If you were to use Live Ingest and apply a Metadata Template, you could put the {now} variable in one of the fields and then create a custom sort on that field.

-Kirk