Author Topic: RAW+TIFF IPTC/XMP synchronisation  (Read 36000 times)

Offline JoeUser

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
RAW+TIFF IPTC/XMP synchronisation
« on: May 04, 2007, 05:01:32 AM »
I'm currently evaluating PM to see if it fits my needs.  One of the things I like about it is the fact that it allows the synchronisation of IPTC/XMP information between files.
Currently, however, you only support the synchronisation of RAW+JPG combinations.  In my workflow, however, I make use of RAW files whenever possible (I use Nikon Capture and perform 99% of my editing within the RAW file), and only revert to TIFF/Photoshop when I need to do something more complex (e.g. clone-out spots).
It would therefore be of great value to me if, instead of only supporting the RAW+JPG combo, PM would also support the RAW+TIFF combo.  This shouldn't be hard to implement; as a work-around I now rename the *.tif files to *.jpg and perform the synchronisation (this works flawlessly).

As this work-around is a kludge, however, I would really like to see this feature implemented in PM.

Thanks,
    Joe

Offline JoeUser

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: RAW+TIFF IPTC/XMP synchronisation
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 03:05:18 AM »
Kirk, any news on this one?  I'm running out of my trial time and really need to know if this will be implemented (soon).

Thanks,
    Joe

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 06:39:27 AM »
Joe,

Kirk, any news on this one?  I'm running out of my trial time and really need to know if this will be implemented (soon).

I did not address this issue in 4.5.1.  I'll look into adding it to 4.5.2.

-Kirk

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 07:02:07 PM »
Hi Kirk,

I'm not sure it's possible, but do you think you can make it work so the following grouping options for RAW, JPEG and TIFF's are possible to be selected(depending on how users work):

RAW & JPEG
RAW & TIFF
RAW & JPEG & TIFF

I don't really need a JPEG & TIFF option, but perhaps someone else would need that option as well.

Thanks,
Archer

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 11:49:27 AM »
Ah, excellent! This would really add to the already rich feature set of PM  :D
I've tried Joe's work around and it indeed works!  Hope this makes it into 4.5.2 :)
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline theorib

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Theo Ribeiro - Photography
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 09:45:43 PM »
I second Archer's feature request as a very welcome (and much needed) one!

I would suggest being able to select a source and a destination folder so all files with the same filename base, no matter the extension get updated on the destination folder.

This way, you can sync up RAW to JPEG, TIFF to RAW, etc. in any kind of combination.

Regards,

Theo Ribeiro

Theo Ribeiro
theo@theoribeiro.com

+54 9 2944 695103
+55 11 3864-2747

www.theoribeiro.com
archive.theoribeiro.com

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 07:50:04 PM »
Hi Kirk,

Hi Kirk,

I'm not sure it's possible, but do you think you can make it work so the following grouping options for RAW, JPEG and TIFF's are possible to be selected(depending on how users work):

RAW & JPEG
RAW & TIFF
RAW & JPEG & TIFF

I don't really need a JPEG & TIFF option, but perhaps someone else would need that option as well.

Thanks,
Archer

Guess I have to revise my statement: JPEG & TIFF synchronization are usefull afterall.

Regards,
Archer

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 02:58:27 AM »
Looking at the release notes for the PM 4.5.2 beta, I did not notice this feature being implemented.  :'(

Did I overlook something, or has it not been planned for 4.5.2?
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 06:43:59 AM »
Looking at the release notes for the PM 4.5.2 beta, I did not notice this feature being implemented.  :'(

Did I overlook something, or has it not been planned for 4.5.2?

It is not going to make it for version 4.5.2.  I don't know if it will make it for version 4.5.3 yet or not.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 02:53:20 AM »
Please   ::)

As said the basics can't be too complex as it already works for .jpgs
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2007, 06:26:16 AM »
Please   ::)

As said the basics can't be too complex as it already works for .jpgs

If it were trivial I would certainly have done it for 4.5.2.  But I assure you, the task is not trivial.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2007, 10:05:13 PM »
Pity (it sounded so simple).

Sure hope to see it soon though ;)  For now the little script I wrote to change the suffix of the TIFFs with a matching NEF to JPG works.

Thanks
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline A2Max

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2007, 12:39:25 PM »
Kirk,

I am also currently evaluation PM to see if it can enhance my workflow.  I wanted to let you know the ability to synchronize TIFF and JPG metadata would be helpful for me as well.  One of my workflows involves scanning old family photos as 16/48 bit TIFF and then adding caption data and converting to JPG for posting on the family web site.  In my workflow I treat the TIFF file as the master “RAW” file.

-thanks
Max Miller

Offline 1jayfrogel

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2007, 12:58:26 PM »
I learned of Photo Mechanic from a Light Room Q&A forum.  I downloaded the trail versions for both XP and Mac yesterday, had a very helpful conversation with Bob on technical staff, and I was off and running in solving my problems.  My main one is directly related to the topic of this thread, so here it is.  I still use film, almsot exclusively Velvia 100F now.  I have a Nikon Coolpix 5000 scanner with stack loader which can take about 50 slides at a time.  When I return from a trip rather than using a light table as I did until last year, I immediately scan in all of my slides and use LR ( I used bridge until LR came out).  Each scan is about 110 Mb since I figure it is easier to scan at highest res, 16 bit and cull later rather than having to rescan the pick of the crop.  Last month I returned from a trip with over 30 rolls of film.  WHile shooting I religeously keep a pocket notebook with basic info - eg, which camera, lens, filter, date, and subject.  Although tedious, I like to get this info connected with the digital version of the image.  I am also scanning in my entire slide collection which now has about 20,000 saved images.  SInce I travel a great deal and have a lot of time for simple diting tasks on the road I copy all of my scans to jpg of about 500Kb in size.  This allows me to keep thousands on my small Windows laptop.  But neither LR nor Bridge have the capability to transfer any of the info I put into XMP of the jpgs back into the TIFs on my MacPro.  So I would just tediously copy the star ratings, any color coding and the flags from LR by hand from laptop to desktop.  Delving more into the metadata was just too much, so I'd do what I could when I got home.  Pretty inefficient.  The LR folks had no solution or workaround for transferring the data, but did suggest PM.  WHen I spoke withBob he suggested trying the following:  rename the .tif files as .cr2 files, copy the jpgs into the same directory.  Make sure the basenames of the files in pairs are the same At thsi point PM lumps matching files together.  Then use the "update IPTC/XMP.  Voila! I tell it to read the metadata from the jpg and write it to the CR2 and it does it for all files.  THIS IS GREAT!  It means I can do much of my meta data entry on the road with PM (which for this is much more user friendly than LR) and then transfer it back to the TIFF.  Bob told me that I needed CR2 extension as this is the only type of RAW file for which this work around works at present (seems that PM doesn't care that it isnt really a .CR2 file).  What is cludgy about this is the need to do the renaming twice.  SO I STRONGLY BACK THE REQUEST TO ALLOW RAW+TIFF, JPG SYNCTRONIZATION.  Also, since am considering switching to a Nikon D200, it would be good if this technique would work with other than CR2 files.  ALSO it would be good if the SYNCH also synched the star rating, color codes, and flags from LR.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2007, 01:43:12 AM »
Kirk, any news on this item?  It's about the last thing than can make PM more perfect than it is  ;)

Thanks.
Hayo Baan - Photography