Author Topic: RAW+TIFF IPTC/XMP synchronisation  (Read 36001 times)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: RAW+TIFF IPTC/XMP synchronisation
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2007, 10:16:35 AM »
Hayo,

Kirk, any news on this item?  It's about the last thing than can make PM more perfect than it is  ;)

I have been thinking on how to solve this problem and it is not easy.  RAW+JPEG is a solution for what cameras produce and really nothing more.  To support RAW+JPEG+TIFF+etc. is a different beast entirely and there are a number of issues related to synchronization.  Mainly it is the priority of which image in the stack is the one to be used as the source for metadata, image previewing, and soft edits.  Since it is likely that one size would not fit all, there would have to be a fair amount of flexibility in the implementation.  Some users would just want RAW+JPEG as is.  Some would want RAW+PSD, some RAW+TIFF, some RAW+JPEG+TIFF.  The permutations can be quite large.

Suggestions?

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2007, 11:42:46 PM »
I have been thinking on how to solve this problem and it is not easy.  RAW+JPEG is a solution for what cameras produce and really nothing more.  To support RAW+JPEG+TIFF+etc. is a different beast entirely and there are a number of issues related to synchronization.  Mainly it is the priority of which image in the stack is the one to be used as the source for metadata, image previewing, and soft edits.  Since it is likely that one size would not fit all, there would have to be a fair amount of flexibility in the implementation.  Some users would just want RAW+JPEG as is.  Some would want RAW+PSD, some RAW+TIFF, some RAW+JPEG+TIFF.  The permutations can be quite large.
Hi Kirk, ah, you are absolutely right.  No use at stopping at TIFF here.  We should definitely consider the other formats as well.
Suggestions?
Right.  I'll try...

Basically what we are looking for is a mechanism to (optionally) allow for grouping of different types of files with the same filename.  We then also need to be able to specify the order in which the IPTC/XMP information is read (because one size does not fit all).

The grouping/ungrouping files you already have; the Command/CTRL+J toggle.  This should now group ALL files with the same file name (maybe ignoring the ones that aren't image files).
Then we need to be able to set the order somewhere.  This could be implemented with a list box or something in which you simply move file extensions up and down.

This would be the "ideal" solution, but indeed a lot more complex than the original question of just treating TIF as JPG ;)
Hope this is implementable though as I think a lot of people will like it!

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 12:43:54 AM by Hayo Baan »
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2007, 10:17:04 AM »
Kirk, did you like the suggestion I made?  Any time frame on when this would be included?

Thanks
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2007, 10:49:09 AM »
Kirk, did you like the suggestion I made?  Any time frame on when this would be included?

I like your suggestion but it's not like having the idea makes it any easier to implement.  Virtually every part of the application would need some changes to its logic in order to do what you're requesting.

I have no timeframe for you.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2007, 02:07:55 AM »
Kirk, thanks, glad I wasn't making a silly proposal  ;)

It's a pity this requires such a complex change to PM.  I wish I could help in a way, but I'm afraid I can't really.  Though I've been (and maybe still am) a good programmer, I don't think it would be practical for me to help in that department here.  It would mean having to find out all about the innards of PM and I've never really programmed GUIs either...

I'll stick to renaming TIFF to JPG whenever I need to synchronise IPTC/XMP for now.
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2007, 10:20:41 AM »
Hi, it would be another change in the GUI, but if in the future this gets implemented, I would like to be able to change the file the metadata gets read from directly inside the IPTC dialog. Perhaps a dropdown box with Read metadata in paired images from: JPG/RAW/TIF/... ? Or something like that...Just a suggestion. Frantisek

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2008, 08:08:35 AM »
Kirk, any chance of this getting implemented in 4.6?  I would really, really welcome this ability.

Thanks,
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2008, 10:28:33 AM »
Hayo,

Kirk, any chance of this getting implemented in 4.6?  I would really, really welcome this ability.

I understand that this would be most welcome.  But the engineer that would be key in producing this is deep into working on the cataloger and I don't want to take him off of that task.

I hope you understand.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2008, 07:29:18 AM »
Kirk,

Priorities have to be made, and given that the requested grouping + order functionality isn't a straightforward one either, I can fully understand you put Cataloguing first  :)

Perhaps this can be something for a 4.6.x release then  ::)

Cheers,
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2008, 05:39:00 PM »
I understand that this would be most welcome.  But the engineer that would be key in producing this is deep into working on the cataloger and I don't want to take him off of that task.

Huhhh, does this mean the PM cataloging feature/module is getting closer to be realeased?  :P

Juerg

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2008, 07:31:49 PM »
Juerg,

Huhhh, does this mean the PM cataloging feature/module is getting closer to be realeased?  :P

Not necessarily.

-Kirk

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2008, 10:42:49 PM »
Juerg,

Not necessarily.

-Kirk

Kirk,

No lawyer or politican could have given a more non-comiting answer. It could mean it comes next week, next month, in a year, in ten years, or never. Can you be a little more specific?

Juerg

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2008, 06:35:19 AM »
Juerg,

Not necessarily.

-Kirk

Kirk,

No lawyer or politican could have given a more non-comiting answer. It could mean it comes next week, next month, in a year, in ten years, or never. Can you be a little more specific?

Juerg

I don't have an exact release date for you.  Sorry.  I have been telling people that we should have something by the end of this year.

-Kirk

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2008, 09:30:21 PM »
I don't have an exact release date for you.  Sorry.  I have been telling people that we should have something by the end of this year.

-Kirk

Thanks Kirk.

Not really what I exptected  :-[ ... but at least a guideline. Keep working on it. I'm sure the wait will be worth it.

Juerg

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2008, 07:45:47 AM »
Wow, more than half a year ago I bumped this one, time flies!

Kirk, any news on this one?  The ability to synchronise the IPTC info with multiple files (e.g., RAW, PSD, TIFF, JPG, etc.) as well as being able to view them "as one" (like now with the RAW/JPG pair) is still something I would really like to see.

In fact it is the only thing I really miss right now in PM.

So, Kirk, any word on this one?
Hayo Baan - Photography