Author Topic: Change filename extension from .jpeg to .jpg  (Read 1558 times)

Offline dcbaratz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Change filename extension from .jpeg to .jpg
« on: February 02, 2022, 08:38:33 AM »
Is there an easy way to change a filename suffix from .jpeg to .jpg (in renaming or saving) ?   

I'm having some ftp transmit issues with .jpeg files.  They transmit when I rename them in the Finder with .jpg 

I'm using Photo Mechanic Version 6.0, build 6245 on a Mac running Catalina

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Change filename extension from .jpeg to .jpg
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2022, 08:56:45 AM »
Is there an easy way to change a filename suffix from .jpeg to .jpg (in renaming or saving) ?   

I'm having some ftp transmit issues with .jpeg files.  They transmit when I rename them in the Finder with .jpg 

No, the naming system maintains the extension for you.  There is no way to override it.  You would have to change the extension outside of Photo Mechanic.

What kind of FTP server are you targeting?  I've never heard of a FTP server that cared about the filename extensions of the files being sent.

-Kirk

Offline westleyargentum

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2022, 01:17:02 PM »
FWIW I have also hit this problem trying to rename .HIF files to .HEIF

In my case I'm shooting with a Sony a7IV and doing nature photography (birds, tiny fast movements), which means a couple of things when interacting with Photo Mechanic:
- I need to shoot in raw+jpeg or raw+heif because the default preview jpegs that Sony inserts into the raw files are so low resolution that you can't compare the sharpness of similar photos.
- It's fantastic that photo mechanic sees two images with the same name but different extensions and then combines them so that I don't have to flip through duplicates...
- But then shooting this way comes at a significant space cost, sometimes ~200GB per day imported, so it's very tempting to go raw+heif to save some space.
- I can't change the .HIF extensions that Sony uses, so I'll have to introduce another tool into my workflow...

But, again FWIW, I think this problem could be easily solvable with some changes to the way the File->Rename Photos process works. I haven't seen the code, maybe it's more complicated than I realize... but I'd be willing to donate some time and work on it if it seems possible

Offline Bob Russell

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2022, 12:27:56 PM »
You can batch change the file extension using the Finder.  First go to the Finder's Preferences -> Advanced page. Check the box to show all filename extensions.  Next open the folder of image files you want to change and select all.  Right-click any selected file and then choose the Rename xx items from the contextual menu. In the Rename Finder items dialog, use the Replace Text option from the top menu. The Find: field will have the old extension, .jpeg and the Replace with: field will have the new extension, .jpg.  Now click the Rename button.  I hope this helps.

--Bob