Author Topic: Find / Search not returning NEF files  (Read 1918 times)

Offline TrevorMoran

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Find / Search not returning NEF files
« on: February 09, 2022, 11:42:44 AM »
Using PM6 build 6245 (14de08a) on a M1 Max MacBook Pro running MacOS Monterey 12.1

Having an issue where none of the search/find options in PM6 are returning results for any NEF files when searching for specific keywords. I can run the same search in the same directory and it will return the JPEG files but if I don't have processed JPEG's it won't return any results. If the folder has both processed JPEG and a NEFs, Find will only return the JPEG results. This seems to be limited to NEF files, I tested using DNG files and they were able to be found without issue.

As a test I ran the same search in Adobe Bridge and it returned the NEF files no problem so the correct metadata is attached to the NEF files and it is searchable. This is a workaround but considering I try to use PM6 as my primary workflow not being able to find raw files has become frustrating. Previously I believe searching for NEFs worked without issue however I was on PM5 on an older machine with an older operating system so not sure which change is preventing the search from returning the results I'm looking for.

As a final possible clue when I spotlight search, I also am only returned with JPEG files and no NEFs. I am wondering if it has something to do with NEF's being indexed properly, however I only ingest via PM6 so not sure if there's anything I can do in regards to cache settings or other search settings.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Find / Search not returning NEF files
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2022, 12:28:05 PM »
Using PM6 build 6245 (14de08a) on a M1 Max MacBook Pro running MacOS Monterey 12.1

Having an issue where none of the search/find options in PM6 are returning results for any NEF files when searching for specific keywords. I can run the same search in the same directory and it will return the JPEG files but if I don't have processed JPEG's it won't return any results. If the folder has both processed JPEG and a NEFs, Find will only return the JPEG results. This seems to be limited to NEF files, I tested using DNG files and they were able to be found without issue.

As a test I ran the same search in Adobe Bridge and it returned the NEF files no problem so the correct metadata is attached to the NEF files and it is searchable. This is a workaround but considering I try to use PM6 as my primary workflow not being able to find raw files has become frustrating. Previously I believe searching for NEFs worked without issue however I was on PM5 on an older machine with an older operating system so not sure which change is preventing the search from returning the results I'm looking for.

As a final possible clue when I spotlight search, I also am only returned with JPEG files and no NEFs. I am wondering if it has something to do with NEF's being indexed properly, however I only ingest via PM6 so not sure if there's anything I can do in regards to cache settings or other search settings.

Spotlight searches do not work well for RAW files because it doesn't index XMP in RAW files and it also does not associate XMP sidecar files with RAW files so while Spotlight does index XMP sidecar files, it knows nothing about them and it is a pure text index and is happy to match against the XMP tags as it is to match against the values.

Can you post a screenshot showing your Find panel settings?  Can you also post one of your NEFs, along with its XMP sidecar file (if any) so that I can investigate?

Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your files.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline TrevorMoran

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2022, 08:53:09 AM »
Thanks for the explanation on the spotlight indexing. Makes sense that Spotlight doesn't link XMPs with the NEF files. I was thinking that it used to successfully work on my older OS but perhaps I was mistaken.

Screenshot of the find dialogue attached. I typically use the PM search bar in the upper left-hand corner for searching but if the Find dialogue would return raw file results that would be fine by me to use that method.

Any solution for finding raw files via keyword or other metadata search would be much appreciated

Sample NEF is attached. Shot with a Nikon Z9, but I have the same results with NEF's shot on older cameras as well so don't think its a new cameras compatibility issue.

Thanks

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2022, 09:10:31 AM »
Trevor,

Are you sure you don't have any extra characters in your Find field like a space or new line? Entering "Scenic" in the Find field found that image on my contact sheet.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2022, 09:29:29 AM »
Thanks for the explanation on the spotlight indexing. Makes sense that Spotlight doesn't link XMPs with the NEF files. I was thinking that it used to successfully work on my older OS but perhaps I was mistaken.

It never worked even in the initial release of the Spotlight search feature way back in PM 4.x.

Screenshot of the find dialogue attached. I typically use the PM search bar in the upper left-hand corner for searching but if the Find dialogue would return raw file results that would be fine by me to use that method.

Sample NEF is attached. Shot with a Nikon Z9, but I have the same results with NEF's shot on older cameras as well so don't think its a new cameras compatibility issue.

The Find command worked fine on my system and highlighted your image.  I think the issue is that your NEF has embedded XMP which does not have any field containing the word "Scenic" and only the XMP sidecar file does.  I expect that your IPTC/XMP preferences may differ from mine or your NEF file is newer than your XMP sidecar file.

Please post a screenshot of your IPTC/XMP Preferences page.

-Kirk

Offline TrevorMoran

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2022, 11:05:23 AM »
Good point about the embedded NEF metadata not getting the keywords, but strange its returning the correct result on your end but not mine. I have attached the preferences pane as requested; would checking the box Allow Raw Files to be Modified be a solution? Haven't tried yet as I figured I'd wait for your feedback first before making changes to the preferences.

Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2022, 11:12:50 AM »
Trevor,

Good point about the embedded NEF metadata not getting the keywords, but strange its returning the correct result on your end but not mine. I have attached the preferences pane as requested; would checking the box Allow Raw Files to be Modified be a solution? Haven't tried yet as I figured I'd wait for your feedback first before making changes to the preferences.

Your settings are the same as mine, with the exception that I don't embed IPTC into JPEGs/DNGs/TIFFs/etc.

Check the modification time/date on the NEF and the XMP file.  Which one is newer?

For me, the XMP file is newer because I downloaded it last.

-Kirk

Offline TrevorMoran

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2022, 04:07:40 PM »
Modification time on the XMP is more recent as the NEF was created in modified only on ingest and seemingly any meta-data edits are just going to the XMP file.

See below for screenshot confirming.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2022, 04:11:43 PM »
Modification time on the XMP is more recent as the NEF was created in modified only on ingest and seemingly any meta-data edits are just going to the XMP file.

See below for screenshot confirming.

If you open the folder containing that image and then use the Metadata (IPTC) Info (click on the 'i' button that appears when you place your mouse over the thumbnail) and view the metadata, do you see what you expect to see?

-Kirk

Offline TrevorMoran

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2022, 06:39:48 PM »
I do. Most importantly the keyword "Scenics" is in the keyword field. Person shown, Description/caption, and the copyright information are all filled out as well. But again I imagine this pulling from the XMP and not the NEF?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2022, 08:37:52 AM »
Thanks for the screenshot, Trevor.

If you copy the text "Scenic" from the Keywords field (leave off the plural 's' when you copy) and then open the Find panel and click on the Find text field and select all of the text (set the cursor to the left of the 'S' and drag down and to the right corner of the text field) and then paste the text you copied, does the image become selected when you click the Find button?

If not, then I'd like you to turn on some special logging.  You need to create a plain text file named PMDebug.txt and it has to be in PM's Preferences folder.

PM's Preferences folder will be in the following location:

~/Library/Preferences/com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic/

Unfortunately Apple decided a few OS versions ago to hide the Library folder within your home folder.  You can still get there though by using the "Go to Folder..." command on the Go menu in the Finder.  Enter the path above in the dialog that appears.

Create your PMDebug.txt file there and make it have the following contents:

FIND_REPLACE_LOGGING ON

Save the file and relaunch PM and try the Find operation again.  You can then use the "Reveal Support Data..." command on the Help menu to get the updated zipped log file.  You can post it here.

Thanks,

-Kirk