Author Topic: PM and Google Drive  (Read 1475 times)

Offline Mike Werner

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM and Google Drive
« on: February 20, 2022, 07:35:08 AM »
After a change to a new Macbook Pro (M1), I have the following problem.

I use Google Drive as backup for many of my photos. I mirror the files to Google. When I add the local Google Drive folders to PM favorites, it works fine. After I exit PM and return to PM, the favorite entry for the Google Drive is dark and no longer selectable (i.e. the color has gone faded and when you click on it, nothing happens). I have to remove the entry, go to finder, select the drive and drag it to MP to have access to it.

Google Drive also does not show up in the navigator.

Anyone know what to do about this?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM and Google Drive
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2022, 11:41:50 AM »
Mike,

After a change to a new Macbook Pro (M1), I have the following problem.

I use Google Drive as backup for many of my photos. I mirror the files to Google. When I add the local Google Drive folders to PM favorites, it works fine. After I exit PM and return to PM, the favorite entry for the Google Drive is dark and no longer selectable (i.e. the color has gone faded and when you click on it, nothing happens). I have to remove the entry, go to finder, select the drive and drag it to MP to have access to it.

Google Drive also does not show up in the navigator.

I suspect that the drive has gone offline after you quit PM.  I think if you access it in the Finder (to bring it back online) and then launch PM, it will be active again in the Favorites.  As for why it doesn't appear in the Navigator, I expect that it doesn't actually mount as a volume.  You could try adding the Google Drive to your Finder's sidebar.  The Navigator will try to show folders/drives that appear in your Finder's sidebar.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Mike Werner

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2022, 08:26:23 AM »
Thanks Kirk. I did indeed put it in the sidebar of finder but it doesn’t show up. After quitting PM it disappears and when I reload it, and Google Drive it still doesn’t come back.

It’s kind of obvious that the problem lies with Google and not PM since iCloud, Amazon photos and my own servers work.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2022, 09:13:38 AM »
Thanks Kirk. I did indeed put it in the sidebar of finder but it doesn’t show up. After quitting PM it disappears and when I reload it, and Google Drive it still doesn’t come back.

It’s kind of obvious that the problem lies with Google and not PM since iCloud, Amazon photos and my own servers work.

Interesting.  We have added no specific support for any of the services you listed.  Basically, the items in the Favorites are stored as 'bookmarks' (Apple's new terminology for an Alias) that are resolved to a path on startup.  If it resolves to a path that doesn't exist, then the item is grayed out.

The Navigator shows the sidebar items from the Finder and the disks (local or networked) that the OS tells us are currently mounted.

-Kirk

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2022, 12:07:42 PM »
Hi Mike, Please take a look at my attachment. I don't use google drive much but when I look at it in Finder I can basically get to it in two ways: a "My Drive" folder in my User folder and a shortcut to Google drive, which contains a shortcut to the My Drive folder. If I add the folder that is in my User folder to my favorites in Photo Mechanic, it is still accessible when I restart the program. When I add that shows up when i click on "Google Drive" in Finder, it is grayed out as you have described. Do you see a "My Drive" folder stored directly in your user folder?

Offline Mike Werner

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2022, 12:44:13 AM »
I do see it in the finder, and have added that one, and then on a different test, I added it from te shortcuts. Both have the same result... it works until I exit PM. At restart it's grayed out.

I didn't have the problem with my old mac, but since moving and reinstalling Google Drive on my new macbook, it's the onlt one giving me problems. Not that it's a severe issue, since all I have to do is drag the drive icon to my favorites.

Thanks for your help anyway.