Author Topic: Preview images blurry / soft with Canon R6  (Read 1324 times)

Offline melaniemonroe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Preview images blurry / soft with Canon R6
« on: February 28, 2022, 12:19:46 PM »
I recently got a Canon R6 (previous camera was a Canon 5div).  I and several of my photographer friends have noticed that the preview images are quite soft in photomechanic.  This makes it difficult to cull effectively.  This did not happen with our 5D cameras.
Is there something that can be done to make photomechanic work as well for the R6 as it did for the 5D?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Preview images blurry / soft with Canon R6
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2022, 12:51:40 PM »
Melanie,

I recently got a Canon R6 (previous camera was a Canon 5div).  I and several of my photographer friends have noticed that the preview images are quite soft in photomechanic.  This makes it difficult to cull effectively.  This did not happen with our 5D cameras.
Is there something that can be done to make photomechanic work as well for the R6 as it did for the 5D?

Photo Mechanic is showing the preview embedded in the image file.  Does this only happen with RAW (CR3) files or does it also happen with non-RAW files (JPEG)?

If it only happens for RAW files, check the settings on your camera and see if you can control the size/quality of the previews.  If the preview is of low resolution, it will appear soft when enlarged.

-Kirk

Offline Gmurczyk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Gabriel Gmurczyk photography
Re: Preview images blurry / soft with Canon R6
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2022, 04:28:01 AM »
Recently I used to have the same problem with my Nikon Z6II camera. It occures that problem happend when I convert Raw file to DNG in Adobe DNG Converter (ADC). There is setting for size of JPEG embedded in RAW/DNG file in ADC. For sure you can change size of embedded preview in your camera or in ADC if you convertign files.