Author Topic: GPS data created by PM not recognized by other software  (Read 731 times)

Offline David Roth

• View Profile
GPS data created by PM not recognized by other software
« on: March 07, 2022, 04:00:56 PM »
I recently uploaded some photos to SmugMug in which I had set the GPS coordinates with Photo Mechanic (v6 build 6245). Only 4 out of 19 photos were recognized by SmugMug to have GPS location data. At first I assumed that SmugMug was not reading the information, as Windows 10 properties in the unrecognized photos showed entries. When I retrieved the photos from SmugMug the information was there and Photo Mechanic recognized it. I spent some time with their help desk, but they were unable to read the GPS with their software or Adobe Photoshop. I also performed two other tests. They sent me a link to an online location reader (https://www.pic2map.com/) and I transferred the images to my Android phone. Both could not read the location data in the same images that SmugMug could not and could read it in the images SmugMug could.

Is there a difference in the way Photo Mechanic writes the location data for some images? Please advise as to what additional information I should provide.

I've added some attachments. One contains location data written by PM. SmugMug and the online Pic2Map could not read the GPS. The other is the same file with the GPS applied by the SmugMug tool. Can you examine the raw data to see if there is any difference in the way the GPS coordinates are written? Windows Properties recognizes the data and shows no difference between the two. The GPS in the image file 1995-M08-P06 was set by PM and is readable by PM, SmugMug and my Android phone. (The phone does not consistently display GPS applied by PM or SmugMug.)

Dave Roth
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 11:00:52 AM by David Roth »