Author Topic: Version 6 (Mac) creating tmp files when working over servers  (Read 1011 times)

Offline ac9er

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Version 6 (Mac) creating tmp files when working over servers
« on: March 10, 2022, 10:01:55 AM »
I have Version 6.0, build 6245 (14de08a) on a iMac Pro (2017) Montery 12.2.1. I work over servers a lot, and for this most recent version of Photo Mechanic, it seems that it's leaving tmp files after applying a metadata template. These are duplicates of the original file (i.e. the original exists with the applied metadata), with a filename along the lines of tmp.{XXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX}.jpg. It doesn't happen to all files (luckily) but it does happen frequently.

It could be something on our end, but I don't know of any changes that would prompt this. Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Version 6 (Mac) creating tmp files when working over servers
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2022, 10:31:38 AM »
I have Version 6.0, build 6245 (14de08a) on a iMac Pro (2017) Montery 12.2.1. I work over servers a lot, and for this most recent version of Photo Mechanic, it seems that it's leaving tmp files after applying a metadata template. These are duplicates of the original file (i.e. the original exists with the applied metadata), with a filename along the lines of tmp.{XXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX}.jpg. It doesn't happen to all files (luckily) but it does happen frequently.

It could be something on our end, but I don't know of any changes that would prompt this. Thanks.

Sounds like something on your server is preventing PM from cleaning up after itself.  In order to guarantee that PM doesn't damage an image, it does its work on a temporary (working) file, and if successful, renames the original file to a temporary name, and renames the temporary (working) to the original image name, and then deletes the original (which also has a temporary name).

I expect that there is some sort of permissions issue, or there is another process on your system that is opening the file and preventing it from being deleted.

-Kirk