Author Topic: Rating photos on non US keyboard with accent characters on number keys  (Read 1303 times)

Offline Solivac

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hello,

I want to use color classes to cull photos. There is great feature to set color class by single key shortcuts 0-9. But on my MacBook I use non US keyboard where the row of number keys is used primarily to type accent characters and to type number you have to hold Shift + type number key.

But when I try to set color rating 3 (Green) and type Shift+3 (Shift+š), nothing happens and no color class is set.

Any advice how to solve this? I tried to remap shortcuts for color rating menu items (see attached screenshot), but it doesn't work too.

Thanks.

Photo Mechanic Plus Version 6.0, build 6375 (29e744b)
MacOS 12.3

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
I want to use color classes to cull photos. There is great feature to set color class by single key shortcuts 0-9. But on my MacBook I use non US keyboard where the row of number keys is used primarily to type accent characters and to type number you have to hold Shift + type number key.

But when I try to set color rating 3 (Green) and type Shift+3 (Shift+š), nothing happens and no color class is set.

Any advice how to solve this? I tried to remap shortcuts for color rating menu items (see attached screenshot), but it doesn't work too.

Those menu items are for applying the color class to a selection of photos, they're not the single-key shortcuts.

No.  Our apps are not localized and there is no feature to reassign keyboard shortcuts.

If you're trying to apply in bulk then there is another way to accomplish this.  With a selection, hold down the "Modifier Key" (Option on macOS, Shift on Windows) and select the color from the widget on one of the thumbnails in the selection.  The chosen color class will be set on the selection of photos.

-Kirk

Offline Solivac

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hi,

I just figured it out. When I changed menu items shortcuts in system preferences of MacOS to Ctrl+<something>, it has been started to work. Combination of Alt+<something> don't work.

Jiri

Offline Solivac

• Newcomer
    • View Profile

Those menu items are for applying the color class to a selection of photos, they're not the single-key shortcuts.

No.  Our apps are not localized and there is no feature to reassign keyboard shortcuts.

If you're trying to apply in bulk then there is another way to accomplish this.  With a selection, hold down the "Modifier Key" (Option on macOS, Shift on Windows) and select the color from the widget on one of the thumbnails in the selection.  The chosen color class will be set on the selection of photos.

-Kirk

Hi,

maybe I'm not describing it well, sorry for my English. I think the problem is somewhere else. When I select photo in contact sheet, I can assign the color by single numbers 0-9. But on non US keyboards you need to hold Shift to write a number. If I want to type for instance "2", I must type Shift+ě. So in the end the application receives "2", but probably because the Shift is down, it doesn't work in PM and color is not assigned.

Jiri

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Jiri,

Can you tell me what keyboard layout you're using?  If I can simulate the same keyboard, perhaps I can make a change to allow your keyboard to work as you expect.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Solivac

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hi Kirk,

I use layout named "Česká" (maybe in english localization of MacOS it is "Czech"). In many apps it is pain for users who are using accent characters layouts to use shortcuts or keyborad commands. On US layout it is straightforward to type numbers or "+", "-" etc. On other layouts these characters are typically typed with modification keys.

In this case I "pray" for detection of physical keys 0-9, because it would work for all layouts and moreover the user with non US layout can use color rating without hold Shift everytime. Imagine you cull thousands of photos and on every single photo you must hold Shift. This approach would remember that key codes on numeric pad are different...

On more note - it seems that in preview mode Shift+<number> is working, but in Contact sheet not. Anyway please consider key codes approach  8)

Thanks.

Jiri