Author Topic: Files extensions in Preferences  (Read 1494 times)

Offline noelhsydney

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Files extensions in Preferences
« on: March 28, 2022, 10:55:48 PM »
Hi
I have Photo Mechanic Version 6.0, build 6375 (29e744b) running on Mac book pro.
With a Synology NAS for storage
Also using Lightroom/PS for editing

My problem is when I import into PhotoM I have the File Extensions in the preferences set to lower case. However during the import this change is not happening.
I do my edits on the Laptop's HDD and Lightroom saves the files in Upper case, which is what they were imported as. Once I have finished the clients job, I then move via the operating system (not within lightroom) from the Laptop's HDD onto the NAS.
I have found that if I then edit the images again, like adding keywords, within Lightroom and save the Metadata, a new file is created by Lightroom which has the extension in lower case. After looking back through files on the NAS I can see this has been happening for some time.
If the file extension in the preference section is set to lower case, should this pick up during the import, or is there some other trick or way to make the .xmp file be forced into lower case during import?  I have created an automator script to make the change, but this adds extra steps in the work flow.

Many thanks for any tips or help.
Noel

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Files extensions in Preferences
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2022, 09:04:01 AM »
Noel,

My problem is when I import into PhotoM I have the File Extensions in the preferences set to lower case. However during the import this change is not happening.

Can you please post a screenshot of your Ingest settings?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline noelhsydney

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2022, 07:04:39 PM »
Hi Kirk
Screen shots attached
Thanks for the help
Regards Noel

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2022, 07:48:09 PM »
Thanks for the screen shots.  You're not doing any renaming so I expect that the files will retain their original names.  Try this:

Turn on renaming (set the "Rename Ingested photos as:" checkbox to checked) and enter:

{filenamebase}

I think you'll get the original names with lowercase extensions.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline noelhsydney

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2022, 08:03:03 PM »
Hi Kirk
Thanks for the information.
yes I tried this and yes it has worked.
It was something that I would not have considered as the solution.

Thanks again
Regards Noel