Author Topic: Best workflow for this scenario  (Read 1173 times)

Offline a_mumford

• View Profile
Best workflow for this scenario
« on: April 05, 2022, 09:49:40 PM »
I ingest from my camera cards to external raid with a secondary backup to a local working folder on my laptop.

How could I then add metadata on the local copy disconnected from the raid and then sync up the changes when I reconnect.

I think of the ‘local’ laptop copy as temporary and want to end up with the final files on my raid.

Thx

Andrew Mumford

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Best workflow for this scenario
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2022, 09:26:31 AM »
Andrew,

I ingest from my camera cards to external raid with a secondary backup to a local working folder on my laptop.

How could I then add metadata on the local copy disconnected from the raid and then sync up the changes when I reconnect.

I think of the ‘local’ laptop copy as temporary and want to end up with the final files on my raid.

Our products don't offer such a feature.  You're better off using a synchronization app like the free 'Grsync':

http://www.opbyte.it/grsync/

-Kirk

Offline a_mumford

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2022, 10:18:28 AM »
Hi Kirk,

I understand the filesync part of it - I also have Chronosync or I could use CCC to make some kind of "validated" and automatable rsync like function.

My question, perhaps poorly explained, is more about the PM+ part of it and how to use PM to update the locations of the files and merge the metadata from the "local" copy to my "master" raid files.

In another possible scenario say I had exported a smaller subset of my catalog to another person for further work say in a cultural heritage workflow type scenario and now water to bring the changes back in.

Does that make sense ? Would that be possible ?

Thx

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2022, 10:23:39 AM »
Andrew,

I understand the filesync part of it - I also have Chronosync or I could use CCC to make some kind of "validated" and automatable rsync like function.

My question, perhaps poorly explained, is more about the PM+ part of it and how to use PM to update the locations of the files and merge the metadata from the "local" copy to my "master" raid files.

Unless both sets of files are added to your catalog, the Catalog system knows nothing about the "master" files.  They don't exist to the catalog if they haven't been added to the catalog.  And if you added both sets to the catalog, the Catalog system treats them as independent of each other.  It has no concept of "local" and "master".  It's just not part of its design.

In another possible scenario say I had exported a smaller subset of my catalog to another person for further work say in a cultural heritage workflow type scenario and now water to bring the changes back in.

As long as you copy the updated files back to the same location and do a Catalog Sync (Quick mode should suffice), then that scenario is already supported.

-Kirk

Offline a_mumford

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2022, 10:24:30 AM »
I will try that - thx.