Author Topic: Catalog info - where did it go?  (Read 1494 times)

Offline AnnieP

• View Profile
Catalog info - where did it go?
« on: April 05, 2022, 05:52:05 AM »
I'm new to PM+ and trying to become as familiar with it as possible. When you right-click on an image, there should be a "Catalog Info" option. I know I saw it earlier, but now it is not there. I'm in the Organizer, all my catalogs are selected for search and when I right-click, there is no "Catalog Info" option. Where did it go? Or where should I be looking for it? I've attached a screenshot of what is available when I right-click.

Thank you.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Catalog info - where did it go?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2022, 07:56:44 AM »
Annie,

I'm new to PM+ and trying to become as familiar with it as possible. When you right-click on an image, there should be a "Catalog Info" option. I know I saw it earlier, but now it is not there. I'm in the Organizer, all my catalogs are selected for search and when I right-click, there is no "Catalog Info" option. Where did it go? Or where should I be looking for it? I've attached a screenshot of what is available when I right-click.

Does the image that you have right-clicked on exist in any of the catalog(s) that you have selected for search?  Does it have a green dot in the thumbnail area?

-Kirk

Offline AnnieP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2022, 08:19:34 AM »
The image is in a catalog and does have a green dot in the thumbnail area.

I closed out of PM+ and restarted my computer. When I went back into PM, the "Catalog Info" option was there.

I'll keep an eye on it and see if it disappears again.

Offline AnnieP

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2022, 03:19:59 PM »
One sort of connected thing. And this has happened on more than one occasion.

I scanned a number of folders into two catalogs. When the scan is complete and I go to right-click and check the "Catalog Info," it only shows the image as being in one of the two catalogs.

If I exit PM+ and restart, the "Catalog Info" correctly shows the image in the two catalogs.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 04:04:01 PM by AnnieP »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2022, 04:35:26 PM »
Annie,

It's likely a caching issue, based on your description.  In order for PM to not get bogged down when getting information from the catalog(s) about a particular file, a cache is used.  The difficulty in getting such a system to work properly is mostly related to knowing when the cached information has become stale and getting the cache to get a new copy of the data.

This explains why restarting Photo Mechanic Plus fixes the issue.  Note: you shouldn't need to restart your computer to fix such an issue.

-Kirk

Offline AnnieP

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2022, 08:08:20 PM »
Thanks for the explanation. At first, I thought the images hadn't gone into the second catalog and was ready to tear my hair out!

Restart is an easy solution.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2022, 09:25:30 PM »
Thanks for the explanation. At first, I thought the images hadn't gone into the second catalog and was ready to tear my hair out!

Restart is an easy solution.

I'm adding a button in the Catalog Management window that will allow you to refresh the catalog status to the next build of Photo Mechanic Plus.  You shouldn't need to restart, just click the button when you're unsure of the state of the catalog info.

-Kirk

Offline AnnieP

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2022, 10:53:36 AM »
Many thanks. That will be good.