Author Topic: Cannot connect to Zenfolio. Receive Error: Unable to fetch items from server.  (Read 1762 times)

Offline Zach

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
I am trying to upload photos from PhotoMechanic to Zenfolio.

I can sign in but I receive the following error :  Error: Unable to fetch items from server. Please check your connection settings.

I am using Photo Mechanic Version 6.0, build 6375 (29e744b) on OS Mac Monterey 12.3.1 on an Apple M1 Pro 16"

Online ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
What kind of Zenfolio account do you have? Is it a "Classic" account or a "new" account? Their new account types did not have an open API the last time I checked in late 2021. Please see this thread: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=14268.msg72070#msg72070

Offline Simon Wootton

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
I'm having the same issue with the new account. Classic one still works like a charm and is miles better to use. Sounds like the issue is on the Zenfolio side

Online ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
I'm having the same issue with the new account. Classic one still works like a charm and is miles better to use. Sounds like the issue is on the Zenfolio side

They have not opened up a public API to these new accounts. Here is an update I got from Zenfolio in April '22

The API on the new platform may not have open access this year. It might possibly be something that the team has bandwidth for in 2023. I'm not 100% sure of the ETA since it hasn't been scoped out yet. We did recently release a Desktop Upload Tool that the product team built. This may not be an ideal situation for your users that want to upload directly from your app.

Until Zenfolio's allows their new account types to have a public API, Photo Mechanic will only be able to upload to a "Classic" account.

Offline robgalbraith

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hi. I recently signed up with Zenfolio, on their Portfolio plan.

In Photo Mechanic (Version 6.0, build 6784) I'm getting the same unable-to-fetch-items-from-server error as reported in this thread. Which I presume is because Portfolio is one of their "new" rather than "Classic" plans.

So, I'm writing to see if there's any updated info as to when Zenfolio might make it possible for Photo Mechanic to upload to a Zenfolio account that's based on a not-Classic plan. On the assumption that's the cause of my problem.

FYI, I'm able to log in and upload using Zenfolio's own uploader, but the same username and password prompts the above-mentioned error in Photo Mechanic.

Any information appreciated. Thank you!

Online ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Zenfolio needs to create a public API for us to use. They have not done so yet as far as I can tell. The latest communication I got from Zenfolio was in January of this year:

I checked with our CTO and he let me know that we do plan on working on the API for the New Zenfolio account types this year. I don't have an extract ETA on when this work will begin but it is being considered as part of the 2023 roadmap.

If they hear from more customers that people want this feature, they may put it higher up their priority list.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 10:41:08 AM by ahoward »

Offline robgalbraith

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Thanks for your reply, I'll hope that their support for new plan types is added to the public API soon, as teased in their communication with you.

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Rob,

Thanks for your reply, I'll hope that their support for new plan types is added to the public API soon, as teased in their communication with you.

I suggest contacting them and ask them to update their API so that applications like Photo Mechanic can work with their new account types.  They need to hear from their customers.

-Kirk

Offline robgalbraith

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hey Kirk, you bet. I've done just that! Being able to send to Zenfolio direct from Photo Mechanic was one of the key reasons I decided to give their service a try (I've used SmugMug exclusively for years and years). So, I'll be pestering them regularly for the next while. -Rob