Author Topic: Are images copied or moved when using File>copy/move?  (Read 1144 times)

Offline marcopolo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Are images copied or moved when using File>copy/move?
« on: April 17, 2022, 11:40:43 AM »
I an confused about how the words, Move, and Copy, are used in the File>Copy/Move Photos command. 

In the Copy Option screen (Ctrl+Y) one of the check boxed is to Move (delete originals).  Does this action actually "move" the files, or copy them and then delete the originals.  The wording is confusing to a Newby like myself because in the Destination box below the wording suggests "copy" but the action says the files are "moved".

In the Destination box -- below the above option -- one of the options is to "Copy to this folder:".  If I select Move and delete originals, then select Copy to this folder, are the photos really deleted as the text suggests, or are they "copied"?

I just want to clearly understand that using this option deletes the originals and copies the images.  Is that what happens?

If so, is there an option inside PM to move original images to other files other that drag and drop in the contact sheet view?

Thanks.  --marcopolo

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Are images copied or moved when using File>copy/move?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2022, 04:43:24 PM »
I an confused about how the words, Move, and Copy, are used in the File>Copy/Move Photos command. 

In the Copy Option screen (Ctrl+Y) one of the check boxed is to Move (delete originals).  Does this action actually "move" the files, or copy them and then delete the originals.  The wording is confusing to a Newby like myself because in the Destination box below the wording suggests "copy" but the action says the files are "moved".

If the location of the files before and after are on the same disk, then it is a move.  If the location before and after are on different disks, then it is a copy, followed by a delete.  But you don't need to know that.  Basically, in the end, the files will exist at the destination and won't exist at the source location.

In the Destination box -- below the above option -- one of the options is to "Copy to this folder:".  If I select Move and delete originals, then select Copy to this folder, are the photos really deleted as the text suggests, or are they "copied"?

See above.

I just want to clearly understand that using this option deletes the originals and copies the images.  Is that what happens?/q

See above.

If so, is there an option inside PM to move original images to other files other that drag and drop in the contact sheet view?

I'm sorry, but that makes no sense to me.  Please rephrase your question.

-Kirk

Offline Josh Barber

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • www.joshbarber.com
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2023, 09:59:42 PM »
I am here because of the same confusion as the OP. My knowledge is limited about the actual mechanics of a move. My assumption is that a move means that a new copy of a file is not created, just the location of the file is changed.

The reason I wanted to know whether it was actually creating a new copy of the file on the same disk or just updating the location of the file being moved is that I have the perception that corruption is more likely to occur during a copy than a move. Since I am working with my archival files and don't have a thorough enough workflow or understanding to validate the files after a copy I want to avoid copying. Is my perception of the risk of corruption not necessarily true?

To me the line "(delete originals)" implies that the even when Photo Mechanic performs a "move" to a new location on the same disk it will create a copy at the new location and delete the original rather than change its location. Maybe rephrasing that would be good?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2023, 10:02:56 AM »
I am here because of the same confusion as the OP. My knowledge is limited about the actual mechanics of a move. My assumption is that a move means that a new copy of a file is not created, just the location of the file is changed.

It depends on whether the source and destination folders are on the same disk or not.

The reason I wanted to know whether it was actually creating a new copy of the file on the same disk or just updating the location of the file being moved is that I have the perception that corruption is more likely to occur during a copy than a move. Since I am working with my archival files and don't have a thorough enough workflow or understanding to validate the files after a copy I want to avoid copying. Is my perception of the risk of corruption not necessarily true?

If the source and destination folders are on different drives and file fails to copy, the original is not deleted.  If the source and destination directories are on the same drive and the move fails, the file stays unchanged in its original (source) folder.

To me the line "(delete originals)" implies that the even when Photo Mechanic performs a "move" to a new location on the same disk it will create a copy at the new location and delete the original rather than change its location. Maybe rephrasing that would be good?

If it can't move a file then it must copy the file and upon success, delete the original.  That's what the checkbox is trying to explain.  How would you like it rephrased?

-Kirk
« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 11:27:17 AM by Kirk Baker »