Author Topic: Migrating from Aperture to PM+  (Read 1068 times)

Offline gmiddleton

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Migrating from Aperture to PM+
« on: April 17, 2022, 12:05:22 PM »
After many years it is finally time for me to move off Aperture to software that is actually supported.

I'm an amateur photographer with about 20 years worth of digital images, but not a great deal of volume.  My photos are organized in projects in Aperture, so I was planning to create a PM+ collection for each Aperture project.

I don't have an easy and reliable way of directly exporting projects, so my approach is to create an IPTC keyword for each project, ingest into PM+, and then create a collection for each keyword.  I have only a few dozen projects, so this seems feasible.

Is this a good plan, or have I missed some easier method?

Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Migrating from Aperture to PM+
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2022, 04:48:42 PM »
After many years it is finally time for me to move off Aperture to software that is actually supported.

I'm an amateur photographer with about 20 years worth of digital images, but not a great deal of volume.  My photos are organized in projects in Aperture, so I was planning to create a PM+ collection for each Aperture project.

I don't have an easy and reliable way of directly exporting projects, so my approach is to create an IPTC keyword for each project, ingest into PM+, and then create a collection for each keyword.  I have only a few dozen projects, so this seems feasible.

Is this a good plan, or have I missed some easier method?

That seems reasonable to me.  You'd create the collection for the keyword, do a search/filter/browse for that keyword, select all, and then add the photos to the collection.

-Kirk

Offline gmiddleton

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2022, 08:15:25 AM »
That seems reasonable to me.  You'd create the collection for the keyword, do a search/filter/browse for that keyword, select all, and then add the photos to the collection.

Thanks this is good news.

To follow up -- how do I make PM+ forget which images have been ingested? I have been doing trial-run ingests before committing to a migration, and deleting the destination folders and catalogs between runs. However when I do so, if I check the Incremental Ingest option then nothing is ingested. I did find Library/Caches/Photo Mechanic/ingest/incremental -- is it safe to just delete this folder?

Thanks again.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2022, 08:43:27 AM »

Thanks this is good news.

To follow up -- how do I make PM+ forget which images have been ingested? I have been doing trial-run ingests before committing to a migration, and deleting the destination folders and catalogs between runs. However when I do so, if I check the Incremental Ingest option then nothing is ingested. I did find Library/Caches/Photo Mechanic/ingest/incremental -- is it safe to just delete this folder?

Yes, you can delete it and it will be created anew.

If the images are already on your disk, organized at the folder level the way you want them, there is no need to use Ingest.  You can just use Scan to Catalog and pick the root folder containing your images/subfolders.

-Kirk

Offline phrank

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • phrank photo/graphics
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2022, 03:23:00 AM »
@gmiddleton

I'm doing the same. MOving away from Aperture and Lightroom…
There are some Apple scripts, which makes it easier to preserve some meta data in Aperture.
I don't know where I have found these. Just google it.

Album to keyword script

Aperture write XMP script