Author Topic: PM Crashing Routinely  (Read 7598 times)

Offline Gray

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM Crashing Routinely
« on: May 07, 2007, 12:26:12 PM »
Ever since I updated to PM 4.5 I'm getting a lot of error messages that PM has encountered an error and must shut down.   It seems that if I leave PM open and go to any other program an error box will pop up saying PM encountered an error and must shut down.  To the best of my knowledge this hasn't happened when I've opened PM and stayed with the program until closure.  This happens at least once each time I'm using the program along with another application.  I never had this error with prior versions.  Has anyone experienced a problem like this?  I'm running Windows XP on a laptop.  thanks,  Gray

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM Crashing Routinely
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 01:20:38 PM »
Gray,

Ever since I updated to PM 4.5 I'm getting a lot of error messages that PM has encountered an error and must shut down.   It seems that if I leave PM open and go to any other program an error box will pop up saying PM encountered an error and must shut down.  To the best of my knowledge this hasn't happened when I've opened PM and stayed with the program until closure.  This happens at least once each time I'm using the program along with another application.  I never had this error with prior versions.  Has anyone experienced a problem like this?  I'm running Windows XP on a laptop.

The 4.5.1 beta solves this issue.  You can download the beta from the Announcements section on these forums.

-Kirk

Offline Gray

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 06:30:40 PM »
Thanks Kirk,   I just downloaded it so hope that helps.  Gray

Offline Gray

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 08:19:07 AM »
Beta 4.5.1 did not cure the crashing problem.  Anytime I create a new folder or leave PM in the background while I'm in another application like Photoshop, the Msg comes up about PM Encountering a problem and has to shut down.  I really need to resolve this.  Any ideas?  thanks,  Gray

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 08:35:13 AM »
Beta 4.5.1 did not cure the crashing problem.  Anytime I create a new folder or leave PM in the background while I'm in another application like Photoshop, the Msg comes up about PM Encountering a problem and has to shut down.  I really need to resolve this.  Any ideas?  thanks,  Gray

Please get Photo Mechanic 4.5.1.1 and be sure to uninstall your current Photo Mechanic first.

-Kirk

Offline Gray

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 09:54:38 AM »
Thanks Kirk,  I just uninstalled previous version and downloaded 4.5.1.1 so will try it out today and let you know how it does.  gray

Offline JonKandel

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 11:31:49 AM »
I almost always crash 4.5.1.1 when I select a batch of images (even just two) on a contact sheet and then trying to "do" anything to them. Selecting multiple images by keyboard command is hit or miss. Also, when one image is selected, rolling the cursor to the Info icon on any image usually results in the IPTC window flash and disappearing.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 12:06:33 PM »
I almost always crash 4.5.1.1 when I select a batch of images (even just two) on a contact sheet and then trying to "do" anything to them. Selecting multiple images by keyboard command is hit or miss. Also, when one image is selected, rolling the cursor to the Info icon on any image usually results in the IPTC window flash and disappearing.

What OS are you running?
What is an "IPTC window flash"?
Are you certain that you're running 4.5.1.1?  Open the About box and look for the version number at the bottom of the window.

-Kirk
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 01:03:34 PM by Kirk Baker »

Offline Gray

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 08:23:06 PM »
Good news, I hope.  I tried the 4.5.1.1. and no crashes to report.  I hope it works out.  Thanks Kirk.  Gray

Offline JonKandel

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 08:59:07 AM »
I'm running OSX 10.4.9 and PM 4.5.1.1. The "open IPTC flash" meant that when the cursor rolls over the I icon, the IPTC window appears for a split second and then disappears. Occasionally re-rolling over the icon will bring the window back, but usually a program relaunch is required.

Offline Steve L-J

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 09:48:40 AM »
I've just uninstalled 4.5.1.1 and re-installed 4.5. (XP Pro, 3+ghz, 2gig RAM). The reason being that 4.5.1.1 kept telling me it was "Not Responding" and it was painfully slow loading in the images -which are on the same HD-. As soon as I re-installed 4.5, bam, everything runs smoother/faster! What's up wid dat?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 10:43:56 AM »
I've just uninstalled 4.5.1.1 and re-installed 4.5. (XP Pro, 3+ghz, 2gig RAM). The reason being that 4.5.1.1 kept telling me it was "Not Responding" and it was painfully slow loading in the images -which are on the same HD-. As soon as I re-installed 4.5, bam, everything runs smoother/faster! What's up wid dat?

I have no idea.  4.5.1.1 runs really well on all of our systems we have access to.

-Kirk

Offline Steve L-J

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 11:26:14 AM »

I have no idea.  4.5.1.1 runs really well on all of our systems we have access to.

-Kirk

Well, according to this forum, there seem to other "bugs." And do you seriously consider that to be a helpfull answer?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2007, 02:12:13 PM »

Well, according to this forum, there seem to other "bugs." And do you seriously consider that to be a helpfull answer?

I don't see much in the way of bugs being reported for version 4.5.1.1 at all.  Most of the bugs are in fact persons continuing to use the 4.5.0 version instead of the 4.5.1.1 version.

I honestly don't know why 4.5.1.1 does not run well on your system.  You didn't actually give me much information to go on.

If you want more hands-on troubleshooting, please contact support@camerabits.com or call 503-531-8430 and they'll be happy to troubleshoot the problem with you over the phone.

-Kirk