Author Topic: Apply ratings and tags to multiple images in browser - bug or feature?  (Read 1591 times)

Offline phrank

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • phrank photo/graphics
I have set the "Single Key Shortcut" to 0-5 sets rating, because I used to work with ratings rather than colours for my culling process.

I can apply colour tags to multiple images, but not ratings or tags.

Even over right-click in the contextual menu I can't change it. Also after changed the "Single Key Shortcut" to 0-5 to ratings, there is still control + 0-5 for colours. The contextual menu doesn't apply any colour, rating, or tag either in a batch, only for the first selected image of all selected.

What do i miss?

Update: via File menu / Image it's working like expected,
but not just via keyboard or contextual menu…
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 02:16:58 AM by phrank »

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
To Rate/Tag/Color Class multiple images, you need to use the shortcuts shown in the Image menu, or the Image menu itself.

Tag: Command-Plus, or Command-Minus
Color class: Command-#
Star: Control-#

Offline phrank

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • phrank photo/graphics
Thanks. Okay, keyboard with these keyboard combinations works.

For me it looks more like a not so consequent workflow. i should be able to rate, class, or tag single and all selected images at once with the same shortcut. Then it's a missing feature, not being able to batch rate and color class via contextual menu.

Single Key Shortcuts can be applied only on single images…?

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
i should be able to rate, class, or tag single and all selected images at once with the same shortcut.

You can. The shortcuts that were mentioned in my previous post work on both single images and multiple image selections. If you prefer to use the same shortcut regardless of how many items are selected, use the ones I mentioned.

Single Key Shortcuts can be applied only on single images…?

This is correct. This prevents an errant keystroke from accidentally writing metadata to a huge selection of files.

Offline phrank

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • phrank photo/graphics
Thanks Kirk, yes I've red your message. I'm still wondering. I use so many shortcuts and they all differ in all Digital Asset Management software. I wish you could customise them all to match with other software.

I’m scared to mess up my photo database as well. Easy with this XMP workflow…

Isn't there an UNDO?

Compared to most other Digital Asset Management software there was an option to make backups of the databases (Aperture, Lightroom, Capture One), or just close it without saving (Media Pro).

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Thanks Kirk, yes I've red your message. I'm still wondering. I use so many shortcuts and they all differ in all Digital Asset Management software. I wish you could customise them all to match with other software.

I will make sure that the next major release of Photo Mechanic (and Plus) will have configurable keyboard shortcuts.

I’m scared to mess up my photo database as well. Easy with this XMP workflow…

How so?

Isn't there an UNDO?

No.

Compared to most other Digital Asset Management software there was an option to make backups of the databases (Aperture, Lightroom, Capture One), or just close it without saving (Media Pro).

You can certainly make a backup of your database whenever it isn't in use and can replace it with the backup that you make.

-Kirk

Offline phrank

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • phrank photo/graphics
thanks for the infos, kirk. looking forward for the next major update;-)