Author Topic: How to keep offline metadata current?  (Read 786 times)

Offline bcarlsonphoto

• View Profile
    • Website
How to keep offline metadata current?
« on: May 04, 2022, 12:07:59 PM »
I'm moving from LR to Capture One (C1) and hope to us PM+ for cataloging. I currently do additive backups. When a project is complete I move it from my internal computer HD to an online external HD (one that I go back to to retrieve files) and an offline HD (one I rarely touch, it stays unplugged at another location). I try my hardest to add all metadata prior to moving data to the online & offline drives. But crap happens...

Let's say I need to update or add metadata to a file that is already on the on/offline drives. What is the best and easiest way to do this? Would it be to update it on the online drive then clone that file or folder to the same directory spot on the offline drive (via Chronosyne or Carbon Copy Cloner)? I'm wanting to avoid having to consistently go back and forth. I know using a RAID is an option but TBH I'm not incredibly computer savvy and that junk scares me. Plus I only have about 6tb of photos at this point.

I have yet to do a cloud backup but I'm heavily considering it. If/when I do, one option coule be to have the cloud bu be a mirror of the online HD that PM+ is writing the new metadata to. The other offline drive would be an "oh sh*t" drive that doesn't get new metadata written to it. It's just there in case the online drive fails and I can't use the cloud to retrieve the info.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: How to keep offline metadata current?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2022, 12:38:40 PM »
Let's say I need to update or add metadata to a file that is already on the on/offline drives. What is the best and easiest way to do this? Would it be to update it on the online drive then clone that file or folder to the same directory spot on the offline drive (via Chronosyne or Carbon Copy Cloner)? I'm wanting to avoid having to consistently go back and forth.

That is a sound strategy.  Update the online external drive's images, then when that is complete, sync the two drives.

If you also want to put your images in the cloud, you can do that as well.

-Kirk