Photo Mechanic > Support

structured keyword issue on update/import Lightroom

(1/1)

danieljgregory:
I am trying to update my keywording using PM/PM+ and Lightroom Classic (current versions of both on a M1 Mac with OS12.3.1). When I apply structured keywords via the structured keyword panel, sometimes they show up in Lightroom with the hierarchy intact. Other times it adds a keyword as a new flat keyword. I can't figure out why sometimes it does this and other times doesn't. I have attached some screen shots to show you what I have been seeing.This first one is the setup in PM.

I setup the structure in this cast so you have Editorial Image, Royalty, Sport and Travel as keywords They appear fine in the PM dialog box. Then on import into Lightroom the Editorial Image gets checked, as does Royalty, but travel (or anyother keyword) is made into a flat keyword at the bottom of the list in Lightroom (screenshot below). This happens intermittentally across the keywords Is there a setting or check box I am missing. I have tried turning off and on the use separator as well as the when updating XMP add structured keywords option in the preferences. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Daniel.

Kirk Baker:
Daniel,

--- Quote from: danieljgregory on May 12, 2022, 01:11:30 PM ---I am trying to update my keywording using PM/PM+ and Lightroom Classic (current versions of both on a M1 Mac with OS12.3.1). When I apply structured keywords via the structured keyword panel, sometimes they show up in Lightroom with the hierarchy intact. Other times it adds a keyword as a new flat keyword. I can't figure out why sometimes it does this and other times doesn't.

I setup the structure in this cast so you have Editorial Image, Royalty, Sport and Travel as keywords They appear fine in the PM dialog box. Then on import into Lightroom the Editorial Image gets checked, as does Royalty, but travel (or anyother keyword) is made into a flat keyword at the bottom of the list in Lightroom (screenshot below). This happens intermittentally across the keywords Is there a setting or check box I am missing. I have tried turning off and on the use separator as well as the when updating XMP add structured keywords option in the preferences.
--- End quote ---

Only keyword paths (Editorial Image | Travel, Editorial Image | Royalty) will show up as hierarchical keywords.  In your screenshot of PM, you're applying flat keywords.

Use the "Add path" button instead of the "Add keyword" button and you should get hierarchical keywords.  NOTE: the IPTC specification calls for putting flat versions of keyword paths in the Keywords field and PM follows this specification.  For best compliance, make sure you set the checkbox "When updating XMP, add Structured Keywords to hierarchical keywords field only" in the IPTC/XMP page of the Preferences dialog in Photo Mechanic.

-Kirk

danieljgregory:
Thanks for the quick reply. I do alway click add path and then ultimately apply collection to selection.  I did a quick 1 minute video to see if you can spot what I am doing wrong?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zdf2up2mktfnyy5/keyword1minute.mp4?dl=0

Kirk Baker:

--- Quote from: danieljgregory on May 12, 2022, 01:59:10 PM ---Thanks for the quick reply. I do alway click add path and then ultimately apply collection to selection.  I did a quick 1 minute video to see if you can spot what I am doing wrong?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zdf2up2mktfnyy5/keyword1minute.mp4?dl=0

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the video, Daniel.

Set the checkbox "Use separator between keywords in path" in the Structured Keywords panel.  It should now show paths with the '|' separator which should make them hierarchical.

-Kirk

danieljgregory:
Thanks I will give that a shot. Appreciate the help.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version