Author Topic: Copying star ratings from one folder to another?  (Read 1005 times)

Offline SzurszewskiJ

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Joe Szurszewski Photography
Copying star ratings from one folder to another?
« on: May 14, 2022, 01:06:18 PM »

Here's the background: I was shooting tethered to my laptop and the client was periodically going through the live ingest folder and adding star ratings in PM as I shot. Unfortunately, I must have wandered out of the range of my wireless tethering device and some files silently stopped transferring from the camera to the laptop. Neither the client nor I noticed.

I have everything on the camera's storage card, so no photos are lost, but how do I get ALL photos into one folder along with the client's star ratings? Can I copy the .xmp files from the live ingest folder into a folder where I download everything from the storage card? Or is there some other way that doesn't involve manually transferring the star ratings (there are a lot of files)?

Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Copying star ratings from one folder to another?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2022, 10:37:25 PM »
Here's the background: I was shooting tethered to my laptop and the client was periodically going through the live ingest folder and adding star ratings in PM as I shot. Unfortunately, I must have wandered out of the range of my wireless tethering device and some files silently stopped transferring from the camera to the laptop. Neither the client nor I noticed.

I have everything on the camera's storage card, so no photos are lost, but how do I get ALL photos into one folder along with the client's star ratings? Can I copy the .xmp files from the live ingest folder into a folder where I download everything from the storage card? Or is there some other way that doesn't involve manually transferring the star ratings (there are a lot of files)?

Were you shooting only RAW images?  If so and you're using XMP sidecar files, you could copy the sidecar files over and as long as they have the same name, the ratings should transfer.

-Kirk