Author Topic: How to finalize Code Replacement  (Read 4583 times)

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
How to finalize Code Replacement
« on: May 08, 2007, 11:29:52 AM »
I ran trhough a few topic searches but found no answer yet. I am experimenting a batch code replacement thing. I write my codes into IPTC fields and after I am complete (and see which codes I have) I fill the replacement file and add it to the replacement file list. Everything goes well, replacement is done I see my replaced headers etc. But all other applications see my codes not the replaced text. Is it meant to be that way or I missed something. If I remove the replacement file from the list all the replaced texts in the IPTCs revert to the original codes what is not the mest for my archiving purposes.

Is it just my lack of experience or the PM 4.5.1 beta I use or any trick to finalize the replacements??
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: How to finalize Code Replacement
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 11:59:01 AM »
I ran trhough a few topic searches but found no answer yet. I am experimenting a batch code replacement thing. I write my codes into IPTC fields and after I am complete (and see which codes I have) I fill the replacement file and add it to the replacement file list. Everything goes well, replacement is done I see my replaced headers etc. But all other applications see my codes not the replaced text. Is it meant to be that way or I missed something. If I remove the replacement file from the list all the replaced texts in the IPTCs revert to the original codes what is not the mest for my archiving purposes.

Is it just my lack of experience or the PM 4.5.1 beta I use or any trick to finalize the replacements??

Are you doing Code Replacement through the IPTC Stationery Pad?  What kind of files are you captioning?

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 01:15:49 PM »
Are you doing Code Replacement through the IPTC Stationery Pad?  What kind of files are you captioning?

I try to caption JPG files extracted by PM from Canon EOS 1D mk2 RAW files.
I captioned the files in PM using either the stationary pad or the simple image IPTC editor. My replacement codes were put in the files before my replacement file was created. I edited the replacement file after I saw all codes I needed to set the caption for.

Code replacement happens fine after adding the replacement file list. But the replacement seems to be temporary. It is effective only in PM. Opening the allready replaced files in other application shows my codes instead of the replaced text. The same is true if I save the images as.
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 01:35:46 PM »
I begin to understand the situation: my replacement codes being added and saved into the files befor setting the replacement file PM doesn't save the change however derives it for me. So the replacements done in this case I see in PM is only a kind of preview. If I choose a file to show IPTC it shows me the replaced text but it is saved into the file only after I press OK to save it not until that.

Now that I understand this I'll have to find a way to save all IPTCs with the replacements. Maybe the XMP update helps but I will try the stationary as well.
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 03:45:29 PM »
I begin to understand the situation: my replacement codes being added and saved into the files befor setting the replacement file PM doesn't save the change however derives it for me. So the replacements done in this case I see in PM is only a kind of preview. If I choose a file to show IPTC it shows me the replaced text but it is saved into the file only after I press OK to save it not until that.

Now that I understand this I'll have to find a way to save all IPTCs with the replacements. Maybe the XMP update helps but I will try the stationary as well.

I think I understand what you're doing now.  You have no Code Replacement file active (or it does not yet contain replacements for your current codes.)  You then enter things like \abc\ and put them into the IPTC Info for each file and they are not replaced because there are no matches yet.  Then you load a Code Replacement file that has replacements that match your codes like 'abc' and when you view the IPTC Info for the files you're seeing the replacements take effect.  If you were to OK the dialog or do a Save & -> they would be preserved with the replacements intact. 

Generally what you do is prepare a Code Replacement file before captioning that has replacements for all of your codes.  Then when one captions one's images the replacement will happen in real-time as soon as the code replacement delimiter is typed.  That's the way I use it.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 07:37:13 PM »
Generally what you do is prepare a Code Replacement file before captioning that has replacements for all of your codes.  Then when one captions one's images the replacement will happen in real-time as soon as the code replacement delimiter is typed.  That's the way I use it.

Well we think different sometimes. But it works fine this way too, if one gets to understand the system. Now I am getting closer to that.
Allways shooting RAW.