Author Topic: Proper sequence for using variables  (Read 1256 times)

Offline dbvirago

• View Profile
Proper sequence for using variables
« on: June 16, 2022, 05:38:32 AM »
New user here having a hard time inserting variables and using them in templates. I'm sure I'm doing things in the wrong order, but trial and error isn't working and I haven't found anything more than a basic introduction. Whether I type the variable or select it by double-clicking, sometimes I get the expected results and others I get the variable name as text. Mostly, I'm trying to create a copyright field built mostly of variables in my v6 Metadata template, so it can be applied as needed.

Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
Re: Proper sequence for using variables
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2022, 09:45:47 AM »
Without knowing exactly what you're trying to do it is hard to say exactly what to do, but I'll be doing a live webinar later today (11 AM Pacific USA) that will cover variables. if you'd like to tune in and ask questions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_vkEZ49dX0

But in the meantime, here is what my Metadata (IPTC) Template includes for Copyright.  Is this similar to what you're trying to do?

-Mick

« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 10:01:57 AM by Mick O (Camera Bits) »
Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2022, 09:49:12 AM »
First, I think its important to make the distinction between the metadata info window and the metadata template. The Info window shows the metadata of a specific image. The Template is filled out, and then applied to one or more images, which updates the metadata for the image with the content of the fields of the Template. Double-clicking the variables in the Variables window should place the variable, surrounded by curly brackets, where your cursor is. Nothing else should appear after double-clicking until you initiate a command that evaluates the variables (for example, applying the Metadata Template to several images will evaluate that variable in that field for each of those images).

So for example: if you have several images with the "Creator/Photographer field" filled out with different names, and you would like the Copyright field to include the contents of that field and the year the image was taken, separated by an underscore, you would select the images, open the Metadata Template, and fill out the copyright field with the following:

{photographer} {year4}

And you would then click "Apply Metadata Template"

Now, when you view the metadata Info window for each image, the copyright field should be filled out with the corresponding information.

Offline dbvirago

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2022, 04:46:38 PM »
I think I have figured it out with some trial and error. When my variable failed, I was using circular logic.

I need to go read up on the variables and what each means and does.

As usual, user error. Thanks for your time and sorry I missed the seminar