Author Topic: ULID variable  (Read 1277 times)

Offline leokreissig

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
ULID variable
« on: May 24, 2022, 12:10:25 PM »
Hello,

I would like to propose to provide ULIDs as a variable.
ULIDs are a form of UUID, but they differ from them in that they include a reference time, so files sorted by ULID are always sorted by that reference time.

Currently I sort my photos by time of capture and then rename them sequentially. To avoid problems with multiple cameras, the file name also contains a few digits of the serial numbers and the image number assigned by the camera. Unfortunately, these file names are a bit bulky and the system is not really reliable.

My desired workflow would be to name the images once during import with a ULID that refers to the time of capture. The file name remains the same in later steps, in Lightroom and on my servers, so that I have a simple machine-usable file name.

With best regards
Leonhard

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Re: ULID variable
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2022, 01:08:42 PM »
If I am understanding the request correctly, you could you use the following variables to achieve this:

{datesort}{timesort}

or

{datesort}{timesortlong}

You could also use

{datesortdash}{timesortdash}

if you would like each element of the date and time to be separated by dashes. You can use these variables in addition to any other ways that you woud like to rename your images.

Does this sound like it would achieve the results you are looking for?

Offline leokreissig

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2022, 01:50:27 PM »
That's kind of the status quo. To get rid of any duplicate filenames, I add the serial-number-and-file-number-part. I'd like to get rid of that in favor of randomness.

Offline ejhutch

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2022, 06:20:07 AM »
would the rand10, rand100, and/or rand1000 variables work for you?