Author Topic: Always Start New Folder at Top  (Read 1278 times)

Offline icurate

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Always Start New Folder at Top
« on: May 27, 2022, 10:32:12 AM »
I go through multiple folders of images on a daily basis, on a recent project I went through over a hundred a day. When I click on a folder I would like to have the option to always have it start at the top, preferably with the first image selected. Currently, If I go through a folder with 50 images and then click on a folder that has 100 images, Photo Mechanic will be halfway down that 100 images so I have to remember to scroll back up to the top before I start. To me, it should be default behavior that PM always starts at the first image in a new folder, regardless of what was in the previous folder, but it would be nice to at least have this as an option. I have looked through the preferences and don't see anything that would affect this.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Always Start New Folder at Top
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2022, 04:22:04 PM »
I would like some clarification, because it sounds like the behavior you are requesting is what Photo Mechanic should already be doing.

When I click on a folder I would like to have the option to always have it start at the top, preferably with the first image selected.

When you say you're clicking on a folder, are you selecting a tab for a Contact Sheet that is already open, or are you opening a new contact sheet from the Navigator (or one of the other methods of opening a new Contact Sheet)? A new Contact Sheet should be scrolled all the way up, regardless of the position of the contact sheet that is open when you opened the new one. If its a Contact Sheet that was previously opened, it will retain whatever position it was at last.

Any chance you can make a screen recording where you are demonstrating the behavior you are seeing, if it does not line up with what I have described?

Offline icurate

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2022, 10:11:10 AM »
Below is a link to a screen recording of the issue I am referring to. I use the same contact sheet and just use the navigation on the left for switching folders. The first folder opens fine, with the scrollbar at the top. I then scroll to the bottom of that folder, click on a new folder and that new folder opens in the same tab with the scrollbar at the bottom. I then switch to a different folder and since this one has a lot more images, the scrollbar is in the middle. The same thing happens with every new group of folders I open.

The desired behavior in my screen recording is for the scrollbar to start at the top for each new folder.

https://youtu.be/GjgBHq7YZXs

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2022, 12:21:47 PM »
Below is a link to a screen recording of the issue I am referring to. I use the same contact sheet and just use the navigation on the left for switching folders. The first folder opens fine, with the scrollbar at the top. I then scroll to the bottom of that folder, click on a new folder and that new folder opens in the same tab with the scrollbar at the bottom. I then switch to a different folder and since this one has a lot more images, the scrollbar is in the middle. The same thing happens with every new group of folders I open.

The desired behavior in my screen recording is for the scrollbar to start at the top for each new folder.

https://youtu.be/GjgBHq7YZXs

Thanks! I don't have my Contact Sheet set to replace the current tab, just always open a new one, which is why I was seeing different behavior than you. I'll share this information with Kirk.