Author Topic: Applying and removing crop in PM on DNG files renders file as corrupted in LR  (Read 1432 times)

Offline alok_anand2278

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
I wanted to apply crop to my DNG files (edited in LR) in PM. Whenever I apply/remove the crop, the file is shown as corrupted in LR. How to fix this?

I am using version Photo Mechanic Version 6.0, build 6097 (85d1687) and LR 11.4

-Alok

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Alok,

I wanted to apply crop to my DNG files (edited in LR) in PM. Whenever I apply/remove the crop, the file is shown as corrupted in LR. How to fix this?

I am using version Photo Mechanic Version 6.0, build 6097 (85d1687) and LR 11.4

Can you post/share one of your DNG files that exhibits this problem?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline alok_anand2278

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
DNG file attached. Opens fine in PM but LR says file corrupted

Offline Odd Skjaeveland

• View Profile
Opens fine in PM but LR says file corrupted
I'm just curious: does it make any difference to LR if you change the filename extension from .dng to .tif (or .tiff)?
--
Odd S.

Offline alok_anand2278

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Change in extension has no effect. LR still can't read the file.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Are you positive that applying the crop is what breaks the file? Do you have a version of a DNG that Lightroom does not report as corrupted? Can you send us that so we can attempt to recreate this issue?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
DNG file attached. Opens fine in PM but LR says file corrupted

Thanks for the sample file.  Dennis will have a look at it when he returns to work next week.

-Kirk

Offline alok_anand2278

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
I debugged some more. I think I figured what might be happening. On some of my old NEF files which I had possibly edited in Capture NX2. It might be possible that the crop was from NX2 (and so saved in the NEF), which LR had ignored earlier. When I converted these NEF to DNG, LR still didn't see the crop. However, when I open the DNG in PM, it showed me the crop. I removed the crop (ALT+C) in PM and that made the file reported as corrupted in LR.

Need some experts to confirm if this hypothesis is correct. If so, what do I do to remove the crop? I don't have NX2 anymore.

-Alok