Author Topic: Ingest issue with Locked photos  (Read 2049 times)

Offline DCSportsPhotography

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Ingest issue with Locked photos
« on: June 20, 2022, 03:31:43 PM »
I had an issue the other night that stopped me in my tracks. I shoot professional sport in Australia, AFL specifically in this instance.

I shoot, lock the photos I wish to Ingest, and at the end of each quarter of play I dump the photos onto my laptop via Photo Mechanic.

There is 6 minutes break between 'quarters' of play (20 minutes for half time), which gives me enough time to Ingest, sort and import a selection into Lightroom, card goes back into camera.

Last weekend this process worked for Quarters 1 & 2 - PM just picked up the most recent LOCKED photos.
When dumping at the end of Q3, it decided to scan the entire card and pick up everything previous "non-RAW" (there are some .mp4 files). This obviously is bad because it's time consuming and it hammers the laptop battery. This is obviously far from ideal.

After the game I performed the Ingest, and it seems to have overlooked the "LOCKED" status of the photos, and import every photo from the match. This means I've got double-ups of some photos.

I want to re-Ingest the correct selection, but unsure how to do that for just the photos from the 2nd half of the match.

I can't work out;

- Why this happened
- How to do the 2nd selective Ingest from the card. It means I have to go through over 1000 photos to tidy everything up.

** In this case I'm using a card with data already on it. Not ideal, but these items have been previously Ingested (there's some old shots there I need to review). Not ideal, I know but the big issue here is that it worked for 2 x Ingests, then it seemed to change it's behaviour.

Any advice would be awesome, including a way that I can tell Photo Mechanic to look at the card and only Ingest after a specific time on a specific date (i.e. locked photo after 5:15pm on the 19/6/2022).

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Ingest issue with Locked photos
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2022, 03:51:17 PM »
I'd like to see your Photo Mechanic log.  In Photo Mechanic go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Finder/Windows Explorer window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2022, 09:04:41 PM »
This reply has been a long time coming.

I haven't been in the game much recently, but shot another pro sports event yesterday and had all sorts of issues. This was mainly around importing new jpeg's, with each process importing the entire jpeg content of my SD Card.

I am absolutely not ruling out human error here, but I will forward the logs as requested.

Basically it meant that after each quarter of play, I would Ingest the contents of the card, plus the previous 30 minutes of action (maybe 200-300 new shots). So by the end of the day I was importing the contents of the SD Card, PLUS the 1500 or so pics i had just shot, even though I was locking the key photos in the camera.

I also had a problem with folder naming, using the {headline}-{iseq} variable with for numbering suffix. The created folders were appended as "000" (without a dash). I have had this work previously.

I noted in the process window that PM had failed to create a file on the SD card, which I assume is to keep track of inventory/Ingest history.

If you are still able to help let me know and I'll get all the screen shots and logs prepared.

On a side note, I'm going to get 2 x new cards for this purpose (probably only 32 gb as I shoot sport as jpeg), as I am using overly large general purpose cards (128 gb).

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2022, 10:36:29 AM »
This reply has been a long time coming.

I haven't been in the game much recently, but shot another pro sports event yesterday and had all sorts of issues. This was mainly around importing new jpeg's, with each process importing the entire jpeg content of my SD Card.

I am absolutely not ruling out human error here, but I will forward the logs as requested.

Basically it meant that after each quarter of play, I would Ingest the contents of the card, plus the previous 30 minutes of action (maybe 200-300 new shots). So by the end of the day I was importing the contents of the SD Card, PLUS the 1500 or so pics i had just shot, even though I was locking the key photos in the camera.

I also had a problem with folder naming, using the {headline}-{iseq} variable with for numbering suffix. The created folders were appended as "000" (without a dash). I have had this work previously.

I noted in the process window that PM had failed to create a file on the SD card, which I assume is to keep track of inventory/Ingest history.

If you are still able to help let me know and I'll get all the screen shots and logs prepared.

On a side note, I'm going to get 2 x new cards for this purpose (probably only 32 gb as I shoot sport as jpeg), as I am using overly large general purpose cards (128 gb).

The PMIngest.dat file is a critical part of incremental ingest. If that can't be created, then Incremental Ingest won't work.

Please send whatever screenshots and log files you have to support@camerabits.com

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2022, 05:49:33 PM »
The PMIngest.dat file is a critical part of incremental ingest. If that can't be created, then Incremental Ingest won't work.

Please send whatever screenshots and log files you have to support@camerabits.com

Thank you - doing this now. I guess my greatest head-scratcher is why it can't create/append that file, while the camera is writing images to the card. But I will send through as comprehensive an explanation as I can whilst being specific.

Appreciate the help. This is all about getting a solid workflow to be dynamic and rapid while shooting on site.