Author Topic: I'm done with Lightroom -- is PM+ viable for hobby use  (Read 1292 times)

Offline ramblinwreck

• View Profile
I'm done with Lightroom -- is PM+ viable for hobby use
« on: June 21, 2022, 05:52:32 AM »
Hi folks,

Not a pro, just a hobbyist/amateur who has used the original PM with Lightroom for the past several years for storing my 20+ year collection of family/personal photos. For multiple reasons I won't go into here, I'm done with Lightroom and want to get all my images out of Lightroom no longer be dependent on Adobe. The only reason I've used Lightroom up to this point is not because I loved it, but rather because I could never find an alternative. PM has always treated me right and PM+ looks like it could be my 'forever DAM', and importantly, independent of whatever external editor(s) I choose to use down the road.

Main thing I'm after something that makes it easy to cull, import, organize, and view my images. And to do that quickly. I'm not a pixel editor, I just need basic RAW adjustments and there are a number of 3rd party (non-Adobe) programs that will meet my needs on that front.

I know that PM+ is totally overkill and more than I'll ever need as a hobbyist, but other than cost, is there any reason I shouldn't consider PM+ as a hobbyist? Are there any other non-pros out there using PM+? Does PM+ require an industrial grade machine to run on? I'm on a few years old iMac now, will likely be updating to M1/M2 based Mac mini in future.

As a PM6 user, looks like I'm eligible for upgrade pricing (for <1yr Adobe subscription cost..), but it appears that I can still do a trial of PM+ before committing.

Thanks for any input.
Chris

Offline schs

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: I'm done with Lightroom -- is PM+ viable for hobby use
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2022, 06:40:01 AM »
I'm a hobbyist/amateur and switched years ago from LR to C1 and used the C1 catalog. I tried PM+ when it was in beta and now I'm no longer using the C1 catalog, all the importing/organizing is done with PM+. I'm using an iMac from 2017 which I will be replaced maybe next year. Performance of PM+ is more than adequate for my purposes.

Offline ramblinwreck

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2022, 07:10:57 AM »
I'm a hobbyist/amateur and switched years ago from LR to C1 and used the C1 catalog. I tried PM+ when it was in beta and now I'm no longer using the C1 catalog, all the importing/organizing is done with PM+. I'm using an iMac from 2017 which I will be replaced maybe next year. Performance of PM+ is more than adequate for my purposes.

I'm also on a 2017 iMac (plan to upgrade soon like you), so this is a great data point for me, thank you!

Offline rbaskin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2022, 11:15:44 AM »
I'm a hobbyist (maybe advanced - depends on your definition) and have been using PM+ since it became available.  Well worth the price for the speed, flexibility, independence from particular editors and most importantly the support!  I've never worked with a software company as responsive (and patient) as Camerabits.

I've used PM from version 4 thru 6 and then onto PM+. 

Ralph in CT

Offline ramblinwreck

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2022, 12:57:05 PM »
I'm a hobbyist (maybe advanced - depends on your definition) and have been using PM+ since it became available.  Well worth the price for the speed, flexibility, independence from particular editors and most importantly the support!  I've never worked with a software company as responsive (and patient) as Camerabits.

I've used PM from version 4 thru 6 and then onto PM+. 

Thanks for feedback.

Since making the initial post, I've already installed PM+ and activated the trial and am in the process of getting my photos (currently managed by Lightroom) into shape for import into PM+. I've done a few years worth of photos so far, and so far so good. Most of the pain points so far are Lightroom-induced (e.g. having to go back and export all my Lightroom edits into fully-baked stand-alone images that can exist independently of LR). I'm still getting used to the interface, but I think it will work fine for me. Already spoiled by how quick it starts up and runs on my older machine, and the fact that it doesn't require 8 different processes running in the background like Adobe does.

And I echo your comments about the company, I fully realize I'm not Camerabit's target customer, yet Kirk Baker has patiently and kindly responded to me multiple times over the years on this forum for various questions I've had.

I think the hardest part for me will be finding a stand-alone editor that I can use for occasional touchups. As a Fuji shooter I'll use mostly X-raw Studio or Silkypix RFC (or maybe I'll even try Capture One Express) for basic image development, but will need to find something to handle the occasional heal/clone operation. But that's a problem for another day. Right now my goal is just to get my images into PM+ so I can uninstall all my Adobe software.

Offline OldRadioGuy

• Retired broadcast journalist/educator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2022, 05:11:41 AM »
I, too, am using a 2017 iMac. Hope to upgrade soon?

As an enthusiast amateur with thousands of images going back many years, I have found PM+ to be well worth the investment to manage and locate my photos. Plus, the support is second to none. Camera Bits is the most helpful software company I have ever worked with.

Thumbs Up for PM+!
-------------
Olympus E-M1 Mark III, Olympus PEN-F

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2022, 09:35:26 AM »
Thank you all for the kind words!
Mick O
Camera Bits