Author Topic: the Search my Mac dialog box  (Read 1182 times)

Offline SAMouzon

• View Profile
    • The Original Green Blog
the Search my Mac dialog box
« on: June 25, 2022, 06:42:14 AM »
Kirk,

I'm almost certain you won't remember, but we had a debate here because I was a longtime holdout on Photo Mechanic Plus because for more than a year, it didn't have a way to Search my Mac, as the previous version did. I knew what that capability could do, and absolutely didn't want to give it up. But the day I heard you'd added it to Plus, I upgraded to Plus. After discovering the capabilities of Plus, I rarely if ever use Search my Mac... not sure I've even used it in the past year. But it was a necessary bridge for me to make the upgrade... keeping one foot on first base while making a mad dash for second with the other foot, if you will. As for me, you could eliminate that feature in some future Plus and I'd never know the difference, but it was essential to get me to Plus. Just sayin'.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: the Search my Mac dialog box
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2022, 04:04:04 PM »
Sam,

I'm almost certain you won't remember, but we had a debate here because I was a longtime holdout on Photo Mechanic Plus because for more than a year, it didn't have a way to Search my Mac, as the previous version did. I knew what that capability could do, and absolutely didn't want to give it up. But the day I heard you'd added it to Plus, I upgraded to Plus. After discovering the capabilities of Plus, I rarely if ever use Search my Mac... not sure I've even used it in the past year. But it was a necessary bridge for me to make the upgrade... keeping one foot on first base while making a mad dash for second with the other foot, if you will. As for me, you could eliminate that feature in some future Plus and I'd never know the difference, but it was essential to get me to Plus. Just sayin'.

We had omitted it completely from the base PM6 as well.  We didn't realize how important it was to macOS users.  Without the Plus edition and its catalog capabilities, the Search my Mac feature was still better than nothing and it was missed.

In the end, we did the right thing.  That said, the Search my Mac feature is really not very useful for Photo Mechanic Plus users.  The searching and filtering capabilities of Photo Mechanic Plus far exceed anything that can be done with Spotlight integration in Photo Mechanic.

-Kirk