Author Topic: Question about Resizing  (Read 856 times)

Offline dbvirago

• View Profile
Question about Resizing
« on: June 26, 2022, 08:59:54 AM »
In LR, I have several export dialogs set up that save out in different sizes. For example, I have one that exports with the short edge at 2500 and another that has the long edge at 2000.

I didn't see anything similar in PM, so I just experimented and came up with percentages. However, I was just playing around with the Save As dialog using pixels. If I specified 1000x1000 it didn't create square files, which was great. In both cases, it made the long edge 1000 and the short edge whatever aspect ratio worked, I believe 666. Then I did 2500 x 2000. Interestingly, it made the width 2500 on a landscape photo and the height 2000 on a portrait photo and again, calculated the short side. This was pretty cool and useful, but is there any way to specify the short side? I can work out the math if I need to, but for some uses I need to make them as small as possible, but make sure the short side doesn't fall below a certain pixel size.

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Question about Resizing
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2022, 09:44:29 AM »
In LR, I have several export dialogs set up that save out in different sizes. For example, I have one that exports with the short edge at 2500 and another that has the long edge at 2000.

I didn't see anything similar in PM, so I just experimented and came up with percentages. However, I was just playing around with the Save As dialog using pixels. If I specified 1000x1000 it didn't create square files, which was great. In both cases, it made the long edge 1000 and the short edge whatever aspect ratio worked, I believe 666. Then I did 2500 x 2000. Interestingly, it made the width 2500 on a landscape photo and the height 2000 on a portrait photo and again, calculated the short side. This was pretty cool and useful, but is there any way to specify the short side?

No.  The sizing algorithm makes sure that the image keeps its aspect ratio and fits it within the box you've defined.

-Kirk