Author Topic: Carrying over Photo Mechanic Metadata to Capture One  (Read 5201 times)

Offline Rob Hedge

• View Profile
Re: Carrying over Photo Mechanic Metadata to Capture One
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2022, 01:10:27 PM »
I guess the solution for the time being is to convert HEIC files to JPEG.

That's one way. Or you could just shoot JPEG.

Apple's HEIF/HEIC files double in size when they're converted to JPG. I've confirmed that I can add metadata to these files within Capture One and that the metadata will be retained on export. For me, it appears that the practical solution is to apply HEIF metadata within Capture One rather than Photo Mechanic. I think that people at Capture One and Photo Mechanic should talk about addressing this, because Apple, the iPhone and HEIF/HEIC aren't going away. As matters currently stand, the solution for me is to use Capture One for these photographs and not bother with Photo Mechanic.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 09:51:03 AM by Rob Hedge »
Processing: Mac Studio, Photo Mechanic Plus, Capture One

Image Formats: Leica DNG, Apple HEIC, TIFF, JPEG, MOV

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2022, 09:13:53 AM »
I guess the solution for the time being is to convert HEIC files to JPEG.

That's one way. Or you could just shoot JPEG.

I think that people at Capture One and Photo Mechanic should talk about addressing this, because Apple, the iPhone and HEIF/HEIC aren't going away.

We'd be happy to talk with them about supporting metadata contained within HEIC files.  The HEIC/HEIF file format is based on an open ISO standard called ISOBMFF and it is well documented.  It should be fairly straightforward for Capture One to both read XMP from HEIC/HEIF files and write XMP back to those files.

-Kirk

Offline Rob Hedge

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2022, 10:26:45 AM »
We'd be happy to talk with them about supporting metadata contained within HEIC files.  The HEIC/HEIF file format is based on an open ISO standard called ISOBMFF and it is well documented.  It should be fairly straightforward for Capture One to both read XMP from HEIC/HEIF files and write XMP back to those files.

I submitted a support ticket to Capture One on the weekend in order to flag this. It will probably be a few days before I get a response.

Offline Rob Hedge

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2022, 07:21:33 AM »
Capture One Technical Support, which says that it's way behind and apologises for the delay in responding, sent me an e-mail his morning saying that it wants to pursue this issue. They've asked for a number of details, which I'll be sending them.

Offline Odd Skjaeveland

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2022, 12:20:26 AM »
...They've asked for a number of details, which I'll be sending them.

The topic should be of interest to quite a few PM/C1 users. Would it serve the PM community if you post a list of those details, perhaps even with your own take on answers included? Discussing those details here may potentially bring better PM/C1 integration.
--
Odd S.