Author Topic: Preloading Metadata has failed and the operation has been cancelled  (Read 1122 times)

Offline mark24

• Newcomer
    • View Profile

PM+ Version 6 build 6496
Windows 11 Pro

I am migrating to PM+ and so I will typically (1) scan a NAS directory into a catalog then (2) create collections under the catalog, then (3) search the catalog for files specific to a collection, (4) select all of the returned images, and finally (5) assign them to the appropriate collection.

The returned image set can be anywhere up to 100 - 1500 images.  Sometimes when executing step 5, PM+ pops up an error box "Preloading Metadata has failed and the operation has been cancelled".

Breaking down the assignment step into smaller pieces seems to work e.g. 250 images at a time, but sometimes the entire selection of 1000+ will work.  I don't see a discenrable pattern.

This is not a fatal error, but it would be nice to be able to avoid it if possible. TIA

Best Regards

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Preloading Metadata has failed and the operation has been cancelled
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2022, 11:19:10 AM »

PM+ Version 6 build 6496
Windows 11 Pro

I am migrating to PM+ and so I will typically (1) scan a NAS directory into a catalog then (2) create collections under the catalog, then (3) search the catalog for files specific to a collection, (4) select all of the returned images, and finally (5) assign them to the appropriate collection.

The returned image set can be anywhere up to 100 - 1500 images.  Sometimes when executing step 5, PM+ pops up an error box "Preloading Metadata has failed and the operation has been cancelled".

Breaking down the assignment step into smaller pieces seems to work e.g. 250 images at a time, but sometimes the entire selection of 1000+ will work.  I don't see a discenrable pattern.

This is not a fatal error, but it would be nice to be able to avoid it if possible. TIA

Is the catalog still building?  The above can happen when the catalog is busy and the backlog of preload requests gets too large.

Building a catalog from images on a NAS is particularly slow due to how poor NASes are at small random reads on a file.

-Kirk

Offline mark24

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2022, 02:19:11 PM »
Thanks for your prompt reply.

I don't believe the catalog was still building, but I will take notice of this while I continue to populate PM+.

Thanks again

Best Regards

Offline mark24

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2022, 03:29:40 PM »
I have another data point; it doesn't appear to be related to scanning into the Catalog.

I scanned a NAS drive directory into a catalog and when it was ocmplete, I just terminated PM+ and walked away.

Some time later, I started PM+ and created several collections in the catalog.

I searched the catalog for images in the first collection and it returned around 900-1000 images.

As detailed above, I do a Ctrl-A, then right click to add images to the collection.  The error seems to occur if the Crtl-A and add images to collection steps are intiated 'too quickly', i.e. if I slow the steps down then the error does not seem to happen.

I suspect, but do not yet know, that once the the search results ae returned, if I Crtl-End, and wait for the file names to change color, then Crtl-A and add to collection, the error might be avoided.

Again, the error is not fatal; in fact once it ocuurs, just count to 10 and try again and it will usually work.

Best Reagrds,

Offline BrianGrayPhoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2022, 07:30:29 PM »
Following.
This "Preloading Metadata..." is an area I would like to see improve as a new PM+ user.

Setup:
MacBook Pro (14"-2021) M1 Max, 32GB Ram
Fully completed catalog sitting on internal hard rive.
Images on NAS/DAS w/ Thunderbolt 2 direct connection reading/writing at measured ~ 100 MB/s

Situation:
Filter1 + Filter2 + etc yields 200+ results (minimum.  Less than 200 seems to preload without the need to 'preload')
When selecting all and then executing a metadata change (ie, city update) error appears. 

Found Resolution:
I found that Paging Down to 'preload' the preview of the image is a requirement to avoid this message. 

Comments:
The executing of 'preloading' the images doesn't seem necessary.  It can be time consuming when updating many thousands of images at a time (which occurs when you shoot at 30fps).