Author Topic: PM Plus Navigator Refuses to Adopt Change in Mac Username  (Read 1139 times)

Offline Rob Hedge

• View Profile
PM Plus Navigator Refuses to Adopt Change in Mac Username
« on: July 24, 2022, 03:14:04 PM »
This is probably a minor problem but it's getting on my nerves :)

I changed my username (the name for my user directory) on my Mac Studio computer and followed Apple's instructions in doing so. My Mac is happy. Evidently PM Plus isn't. It continues to show the directory's old name, although if I make the directory a Favourite, the Favourite uses the new name. Instead of posting here, I deactivated and uninstalled PM Plus and reinstalled it. Navigator, but not Favourites, is still using the old name. I assume the old name is in a PM file that wasn't uninstalled and is continuing the error.

Help! :)
Processing: Mac Studio, Photo Mechanic Plus, Capture One

Image Formats: Leica DNG, Apple HEIC, TIFF, JPEG, MOV

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM Plus Navigator Refuses to Adopt Change in Mac Username
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2022, 03:31:18 PM »
Rob,

I changed my username (the name for my user directory) on my Mac Studio computer and followed Apple's instructions in doing so. My Mac is happy. Evidently PM Plus isn't. It continues to show the directory's old name, although if I make the directory a Favourite, the Favourite uses the new name. Instead of posting here, I deactivated and uninstalled PM Plus and reinstalled it. Navigator, but not Favourites, is still using the old name. I assume the old name is in a PM file that wasn't uninstalled and is continuing the error.

Uninstalling does not remove previous settings.

Please post a screen shot that illustrates the problem.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Rob Hedge

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2022, 03:44:22 PM »
Thanks Kirk,

Mac Finder shows the User changed from "main" to "Door". PM Plus shows "main" in Navigator. Make "main" a Favourite and PM Plus correctly shows "Door".

I have had no problems getting PM Plus Navigator to reflect changes in the names of other directories, but it won't change the name of this one.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 10:21:53 AM »
Rob,

Thanks for the screen shots.  In the Finder, if you show the sidebar, is your home folder there and is it correct?

PM gets the sidebar information from a framework called "Launch Services" and apparently it is not up to date with your changes.  You may have to remove your home folder from the Finder's sidebar and add it back in (quit PM first, and relaunch it after you make the change) for PM to see those changes.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Rob Hedge

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2022, 11:39:49 AM »
Thanks Kirk,

As you suggested, I removed my home directory from the sidebar, added it back in and relaunched PM Plus. That solved the problem. Much obliged; saved me hours on the internet trying to figure this out :)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2022, 12:01:14 PM »
Rob,

I'm happy to hear that the problem has been solved.  It's not often that the username is changed once it is set.  You may run into similar caching issues in other parts of PM and in other applications.

-Kirk

Offline Rob Hedge

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2022, 12:13:24 PM »
Rob,

I'm happy to hear that the problem has been solved.  It's not often that the username is changed once it is set.  You may run into similar caching issues in other parts of PM and in other applications.

-Kirk

Yes, I'll know what to do if it happens again. What confused me is that I've changed several directory names recently and none, except a change to the home name, has caused an issue with PM or any other application. With PM, I might have to close and re-open the window (maybe the application, don't recall), but that's all. However, the fact that Apple has a special process for changing the name of the home directory does suggest that it isn't like others.

Thanks again.