Author Topic: The IPTC Template's "Location ID" Field  (Read 1108 times)

Offline Rob Hedge

• View Profile
The IPTC Template's "Location ID" Field
« on: July 11, 2022, 12:55:53 PM »
I'd like to make this field invisible. It doesn't appear to be included in the list of fields at Preferences > Accessibility > IPTC Template, so I can't uncheck "Visible" or "Enabled". Am I missing something? If I'm not, is there somewhere else that I can make it disappear?

Re what this field does... I gather that "Location ID" stands for "Location Identifier". I've found a bit of information about its function on the internet, although not much, and I don't see anything about it in the Photo Mechanic documentation. There's no entry for it in Camerabits's Metadata (IPTC) Template Map. What's Camerabits's view on what it's for?

Thanks
Processing: Mac Studio, Photo Mechanic Plus, Capture One

Image Formats: Leica DNG, Apple HEIC, TIFF, JPEG, MOV

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Re: The IPTC Template's "Location ID" Field
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2022, 01:10:37 PM »
That field, as well as all 6 others fields above it that are, by default, under "locations taken and shown", are covered by the "Location Created" field in the accessibility windows.

Offline Rob Hedge

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2022, 01:21:55 PM »
That field, as well as all 6 others fields above it that are, by default, under "locations taken and shown", are covered by the "Location Created" field in the accessibility windows.

Thanks. If I understand correctly, that means that it's part of a package of seven fields that can't be separated out. That occurred to me as a possibility, but thought I'd check :) I may have a useful way to repurpose "Location ID" even though I can't rename it or move it. What's your view on what "Location ID" is for?

I quite like the distinction between camera location and subject location (handy if I'm in Queens making a photo of Manhattan across the East River), although it took me a bit to figure out how it works :)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 08:33:57 PM by Rob Hedge »

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2022, 04:42:48 PM »
My understanding of Location ID (Location Identifier) field is that it can be used when working with databases that assign such IDs to places. For example, the St Johns Bridge in Portland has a "location identifier" in the WikiData database of Q4416302 (https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q4416302)    Many such databases use location identifiers, they are machine-readable and unique.

-Mick

Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline Rob Hedge

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2022, 10:36:33 AM »
Thanks Mick. I may use the Location Identifier field for a more traditional location identifier, a neighbourhood name or street address :)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 05:20:16 AM by Rob Hedge »