Author Topic: Confused with "Location Created" and the globe symbol  (Read 946 times)

Offline LRAT

• View Profile
Confused with "Location Created" and the globe symbol
« on: July 13, 2022, 10:04:24 PM »
Could somebody please try to put me in the right direction for the following questions:

In the IPTC field "Location Created" there seems to be a group of fields: Sublocation, City, State, Country, Country code, World Region, Location ID.
Is it possible to break up this group and customize the names and sorting sequence like with every other field listed in the Customize Metadata (IPTC) Info?
If yes, how do I do this?

There's also a globe symbol next to some of the fields and when clicked it turns green but doesn't seem to do anything else. What's the purpose of this?

Thanks for your help in advance!
Cheers,

Luke

ODThomas

Re: Confused with "Location Created" and the globe symbol
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2022, 04:04:28 AM »
Taken from the online manual: https://docs.camerabits.com/support/solutions/articles/48000207623-using-the-metadata-iptc-template

Press the globe button next to location-based metadata fields that you would like for Photo Mechanic to reverse geocode. When the globe is green, that indicates that Photo Mechanic will attempt to populate that field with reverse geocoded information. When a globe is selected, reverse geocoded data takes priority over any text you have entered. This means you can safely enter default locations that will only be applied if the image doesn't already have GPS data.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2022, 09:40:53 AM »
Those fields can only be re-ordered as a group, and there is no option to rename them.

Is it possible to break up this group and customize the names and sorting sequence

By sorting sequence, do you mean the order of the fields on the Metadata Info and Template windows, or do you mean setting a custom sort mode for the contact sheet based on this data?

With respect to the globe icons, let me know if the document above does not fully answer your questions about it.

Offline LRAT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2022, 04:40:12 PM »
G'Day ahoward and ODThomas,

Thanks for your response!
Now the globe symbol makes sense but I've tried it on a couple of pictures and nothing seems to happen.
Anyway, that's not my highest priority. I just wanted to find out what it's supposed to do.

What I want to achieve is that every IPTC/XMP field behaves the same way in different software packages.
I use PM6+ for ingesting, culling photos and also to add the metadata. From there on I process them through Capture One but do not maintain any databases in C1. My main DAM software is iMatch from Photools.
This is where the problem starts: PM seems to be utilizing different or unique IPTC/XMP fields which don't show up in iMatch and then I have to add the metadata once again.
So what I want to achieve is that I have a hierarchical structure that shows in both programs. These fields are:
Event
Sub-location
Address
Postcode
Shire/County
State/Province
Country
World region

Because the "Location created" group is non-customizable I am looking for alternative fields that could be used and will behave the same in both programs.
From what I've been reading is that the XMP is the preferred standard these days and that IPTC is to be phased out.
So, I am looking for XMP-fields that are the same in both programs. That means, if I change metadata in one program it will become automatically updated in the other as they both use the same photo folder.
I hope this makes a bit more sense.
As always, thanks for your help!
Cheers,

Luke

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2022, 04:57:44 PM »
I just want to clarify what customizing the field names actually does: it simply changes the displayed name for the field. Customizing your fields does not change how the metadata is written to the file and will not change another program's ability to see that metadata.

I'd recommend downloading the IPTC's sample image which as all fields populated with descriptive names: https://iptc.org/std/photometadata/examples/IPTC-PhotometadataRef-Std2021.1.jpg

Load this file into your DAM software and open its metadata in Photo Mechanic and see which fields match up, you should then be able to use those fields in both programs

With respect to the reverse geocoding functionality not working: have these images been given GPS coordinates (either by the camera or Photo Mechanic)? You can check by selecting the image on the Contact Sheet, right-clicking, and clicking "Show map..." at the bottom. If that option is not shown, the image does not have coordinates to reverse geocode from.

Offline LRAT

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2022, 05:03:45 PM »
ahoward thanks for that link to that picture!
This will be very helpful.
I just opened it in PM and iMatch and now it will be so much easier to find mutual fields.
You are a life saver! Thanks, that is exactly what I needed.
Now I know what I will be doing for the next couple of hours :-)