Author Topic: Stationary pad incorrectly changing XMP/IPTC date created  (Read 4660 times)

Offline jimb

• View Profile
Stationary pad incorrectly changing XMP/IPTC date created
« on: May 09, 2007, 02:57:51 PM »
Running PMSetup4.5.1b0503.exe on a Windows XP system:

Whenever any change is made to XMP/IPTC metadata using the stationary pad, the date fields are being set to the date/time the modification was made. This occurs when the date field is not checked on the stationary pad. This shouldn't be happening, should it? It did not occur in earlier versions.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Stationary pad incorrectly changing XMP/IPTC date created
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 03:14:07 PM »
Jim,

Whenever any change is made to XMP/IPTC metadata using the stationary pad, the date fields are being set to the date/time the modification was made. This occurs when the date field is not checked on the stationary pad. This shouldn't be happening, should it? It did not occur in earlier versions.

What do you have the Date popup menu set to do?  It has four choices:

Date (uses specific date in the date control to the left of the popup menu)
Today (uses today's date, ignoring the date in the control)
Capture Time (uses the date and time that the photo was taken)
Modification Time (uses the last modification date of the photo)

What is your Date popup menu set to?

-Kirk

Offline jimb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 03:22:34 PM »
Jim,

What do you have the Date popup menu set to do?  It has four choices:

Date (uses specific date in the date control to the left of the popup menu)
Today (uses today's date, ignoring the date in the control)
Capture Time (uses the date and time that the photo was taken)
Modification Time (uses the last modification date of the photo)

What is your Date popup menu set to?

-Kirk

In the previous tests used to confirm the problem it was set to Date. But the check box next to it wasn't checked, therefore I would assume that the date isn't going to be changed. I just did another test with the popup set to Capture Time, the check box was unchecked, and the date got changed to the date & time the stationary pad was applied.

Offline jimb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 05:30:53 AM »
Here's some follow-up info about this issue:

This morning I changed the color class on a selected group of photos using the Ctrl-1 shortcut. In all of the changed images, the date displayed in the IPTC Info dialog was today's date/time the change was applied. So it appears that changes to the XMP/IPTC metadata by means other than the Stationary Pad also affect the displayed date. These have to be fixed using the "Adjust Capture Dates and Times..." tool with the "Adjust file IPTC/XMP date/time" option checked. Interestingly, once the metadata has been fixed using the "Adjust..." tool, then the date remains set properly when subsequent changes are applied to the images' metadata.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 06:17:48 AM »
Jim,

Here's some follow-up info about this issue:

This morning I changed the color class on a selected group of photos using the Ctrl-1 shortcut. In all of the changed images, the date displayed in the IPTC Info dialog was today's date/time the change was applied. So it appears that changes to the XMP/IPTC metadata by means other than the Stationary Pad also affect the displayed date. These have to be fixed using the "Adjust Capture Dates and Times..." tool with the "Adjust file IPTC/XMP date/time" option checked. Interestingly, once the metadata has been fixed using the "Adjust..." tool, then the date remains set properly when subsequent changes are applied to the images' metadata.

Thanks for the additional info.  I think I'll be able to figure it out now.

-Kirk

Offline JoeUser

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 12:42:41 PM »
Kirk, I can confirm this behaviour also; even when the setting is unchecked. PM always applies the datetime!

Another strange thing I noticed with regards to the date is this:
For a bunch of NEF files, I removed the date created within Adobe Lightroom.  When I later opened opened the IPTC info in PM, instead of being empty, the date suddenly showed the current date  ???  What was worse, no mather how I tried to revert it back to capture time, the date stayed set to the current day...  I was able to fix this by removing the <photoshop:DateCreated> and <photomechanic:TimeCreated> tags from the corresponding .xml file and resynchronizing the IPTC/XMP data.  :-[

Weird.