Author Topic: French Accent in Metadata  (Read 1126 times)

Offline fourdogslong

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
French Accent in Metadata
« on: July 28, 2022, 05:31:29 PM »
Hi,
What is the proper way to setup the IPTC/XMP preferences to support french accents?

Right now, most times that I import my pictures into another app or web platform, the words that contain french accents get messed up even though they show up ok in Photo Mechanic Plus 6.

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: French Accent in Metadata
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2022, 08:20:45 AM »
What is the proper way to setup the IPTC/XMP preferences to support french accents?

Right now, most times that I import my pictures into another app or web platform, the words that contain french accents get messed up even though they show up ok in Photo Mechanic Plus 6.

XMP is always written as Unicode text (UTF-8 encoding) by the standard.  The legacy binary IPTC data is supposed to be 7-bit ASCII (which doesn't support accented characters), but it was extended to allow a character set to be set and PM/PM Plus will allow you to write IPTC as Unicode (again encoded as UTF-8).  Some apps support this, some do not.

I would suggest trying different settings including not writing out legacy IPTC at all and see which combination of settings produces the best results.  It may be that some of the software you're trying to use is very old and ignores XMP altogether, or prefers IPTC over XMP when both are present.

-Kirk

Offline fourdogslong

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2022, 06:21:21 PM »
Thanks,
When you say not writing legacy IPTC, does that mean I should tick the "write IPTC as unicode" case?

Also, right now the Default IPTC encoding is Mac Roman, is that ok for French accents. I'm sorry I really don't know much about this tech stuff.

I was uploading to flicr when I noticed the problem, it also happened in Capture One when I used embeded metadatsa in RAW files, the issue doesn't exist since I moved to sidecar XMP.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2022, 09:13:19 AM »
When you say not writing legacy IPTC, does that mean I should tick the "write IPTC as unicode" case?

If you're going to write legacy IPTC and you're going to use non-ASCII characters (like the French accented characters), you should set the "Write IPTC as Unicode" checkbox.

Also, right now the Default IPTC encoding is Mac Roman, is that ok for French accents.

No, see my previous answer.

I was uploading to flicr when I noticed the problem, it also happened in Capture One when I used embeded metadatsa in RAW files, the issue doesn't exist since I moved to sidecar XMP.

I still think you should try eliminating legacy IPTC from a sample file and see where that gets you.

-Kirk

Offline fourdogslong

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2022, 10:55:12 AM »

I still think you should try eliminating legacy IPTC from a sample file and see where that gets you.

I do that by ticking the Write IPTC as Unicode case?

Also, is there a way to update all my photo's metadata with the new setting?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2022, 11:19:10 AM »

I do that by ticking the Write IPTC as Unicode case?

No.  You do that by unchecking the "Add embedded IPTC (XMP will always be written)" checkbox.

Also, is there a way to update all my photo's metadata with the new setting?

I suggest that you first find out what combination of settings work best with the external applications/websites that you're going to use first.  Once you've decided on final settings, you could select your photos and apply a Metadata Template that clears an unused field.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline fourdogslong

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2022, 12:24:13 PM »
Excellent, thank you very much.