Author Topic: Catalog Metadata Updates stuck - I only have 1 Catalog  (Read 955 times)

Offline Ralph

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Catalog Metadata Updates stuck - I only have 1 Catalog
« on: August 09, 2022, 10:33:07 PM »
Hi there,

I recently migrated photos from a HDD to an SSD and decided to deleted my existing catalog and recreate it with the new file locations.

In the process I ended up creating and deleting a new catalog a few times, before I was set on the correct one.  Now, there is a task that's hanging:

"Catalog Metadata Updates: Updating 0 of 1 catalogs (some catalogs offline), 3 batches remaining"

Problem is, I only have one catalog which is online. Is there any way to delete this hanging task?

Thanks! :)

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Catalog Metadata Updates stuck - I only have 1 Catalog
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2022, 06:43:02 AM »
Hi there,

I recently migrated photos from a HDD to an SSD and decided to deleted my existing catalog and recreate it with the new file locations.

In the process I ended up creating and deleting a new catalog a few times, before I was set on the correct one.  Now, there is a task that's hanging:

"Catalog Metadata Updates: Updating 0 of 1 catalogs (some catalogs offline), 3 batches remaining"

Problem is, I only have one catalog which is online. Is there any way to delete this hanging task?

Thanks! :)

I'd like to see your Photo Mechanic log.  In Photo Mechanic Plus go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Finder window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2022, 12:41:42 PM »
Thanks, Ralph.

The Catalog system is looking for a catalog at the following location which appears not to exist anymore:

"/Users/<username>/Google Drive - email@somecompany.com/Apps/Photo Mechanic/Catalogs/NvME All Photos"

How did you delete your other catalogs that you didn't want?  Did you delete them from the Catalog Management window, or did you delete the catalog outside of Photo Mechanic Plus.

It is the above catalog that has batches of updates remaining to be applied, but the Catalog system cannot find and open that catalog to complete the work.

-Kirk

Offline Ralph

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2022, 12:47:22 PM »
Ohhh!

I think I deleted the first one from my Finder window, so that would make sense.

The other times I deleted a catalog was from Photo Mechanic.

Should I create a new catalog at that location, and then delete it from within Photo Mechanic?

Also, can you remove the part of that folder that shows my email address, just to be safe? :)

Thanks for your help!

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2022, 01:00:31 PM »
Ralph,

I think I deleted the first one from my Finder window, so that would make sense.

The other times I deleted a catalog was from Photo Mechanic.

Should I create a new catalog at that location, and then delete it from within Photo Mechanic?

That won't work the way you think it might.  What may work is stopping existing tasks.  Double-click on that task with the red rectangle.  In the Catalog Status window that appears, try clicking on the two "Stop" buttons.  Let me know if that works.  If it doesn't then I'll have more instructions for you.

Also, can you remove the part of that folder that shows my email address, just to be safe? :)

Done, but anyone who downloads your log file will be able to find that information there.  You can delete the post that contains your log if you want now that I have it.

-Kirk

Offline Ralph

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2022, 08:04:59 PM »
Ah, perfect! I didn't think to double-click that task.

I was able to click "Forget" and the task list is all green now. Thanks for your help! :D