Author Topic: Edit & related menu items greyed out  (Read 3321 times)

Offline TimTh

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Edit & related menu items greyed out
« on: August 04, 2022, 05:34:14 PM »
Hi -

The Edit, Edit With, and related options that change a file (rename, copy/move, delete etc.) on the right-click menu are all greyed out, for no reason I can figure out. I've triple checked my launch preferences and they are correct. It has worked for me before. I do use dropbox sync, so I'm wondering if that's confusing PM, but all the files I am dealing with are available locally so there shouldn't be an issue. Any hints on how to fix? This is a key feature for me.  Thanks!

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Edit & related menu items greyed out
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2022, 09:13:58 AM »
please post a screenshot that illustrates what you're talking about?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Offline TimTh

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2022, 01:40:25 PM »
Thanks ahoward. Attached is a screenshot. See how "Edit photo with" and all other actions that would change a file are greyed out?

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2022, 01:50:24 PM »
Your source files are not available for editing, as indicated by the yellow dot, and you are viewing proxies of your images. Either the drive that stores them is offline or the path to the files has changed outside of Photo Mechanic Plus. Make the files available and you'll be able to edit them.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 02:05:32 PM by ahoward »

Offline TimTh

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2022, 05:35:05 PM »
So that's my problem:  these files are local but PM still sees them as offline for some reason. They are in a dropbox folder and set to "Make available offline".  You can see that they are local by the little green dot in the corner of the file name in the attachment. How do I get PM to recognize that they are in fact online?  Thank you!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2022, 05:39:50 PM »
Tim,

So that's my problem:  these files are local but PM still sees them as offline for some reason. They are in a dropbox folder and set to "Make available offline".  You can see that they are local by the little green dot in the corner of the file name in the attachment. How do I get PM to recognize that they are in fact online?  Thank you!

Are these files on a local filesystem or some sort of cloud-based filesystem?

PM Plus doesn't have any special code to work with cloud-based filesystems.

-Kirk

Offline TimTh

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2022, 06:19:57 PM »
They are on my local machine, synced with dropbox using their selective sync feature https://www.dropbox.com/features/sync. So PM should recognize when they are local and when they are not. No special code to deal with stuff in the cloud.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2022, 08:47:43 PM »
Tim,

They are on my local machine, synced with dropbox using their selective sync feature https://www.dropbox.com/features/sync. So PM should recognize when they are local and when they are not. No special code to deal with stuff in the cloud.

Can you please post a screenshot showing the status bar at the bottom of the contact sheet window after you select just one of the images?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline TimTh

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2022, 03:40:31 PM »
Hi Kirk -

Here's the screenshot of the bottom status bar with one photo selected, as well as a screenshot of the same file in windows file manager showing that it is local. Thanks for your help.

Tim

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2022, 03:54:51 PM »
Tim,

Thanks for the screenshot.  What happens if you open the folder containing those images from the Navigator?

-Kirk

Offline TimTh

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2022, 04:04:44 PM »
Interesting - when I open from the navigator the yellow dot is gone, the menu items aren't greyed out anymore, and the Edit With (ctrl E) function works as expected. So there's a workaround at least. Thoughts on how to get it working from organizer | filter?  Thansk.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2022, 04:45:43 PM »
Interesting - when I open from the navigator the yellow dot is gone, the menu items aren't greyed out anymore, and the Edit With (ctrl E) function works as expected. So there's a workaround at least. Thoughts on how to get it working from organizer | filter?  Thansk.

Check your Catalog in the Catalog Management window and see if it needs a Reintegrate.

-Kirk

Offline TimTh

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2022, 05:06:10 PM »
No, that didn't help unfortunately. See the attached screenshot of the results. Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2022, 05:34:03 PM »
No, that didn't help unfortunately. See the attached screenshot of the results. Thanks.

I see that the number of images missing matches the number of images in the folder.

Are you certain that none of the folders in the path have been moved or renamed since the images were added to the Catalog?

-Kirk

Offline TimTh

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2022, 05:55:18 PM »
The only thing I've done to the folder since the catalog was created was to mark it as "Make online-only" with Dropbox, then later mark it as "Make available offline" (i.e. local). But I just tried an "Update folder location" from the browse tab and that fixed things, so I guess I should just make sure to do this after each time I make a folder available onlne again. But on a related note, I can only get the browse dialog be responsive occasionally but not always. At times it is just completely unresponsive to left or right clicks - no arrow twirl-down, no right-click menu, etc. So that makes this solution a little tougher. Don't mean to throw you a two-for-one question, but have you heard of this behavior?  Thanks for your help, for sure.