Author Topic: Renaming problem  (Read 1754 times)

Offline Frank

• View Profile
    • Frank Fitzpatrick Photography
Renaming problem
« on: August 05, 2022, 02:02:13 AM »
Has anyone come across this problem?

Trying to find files starting with _ such as _DSC and replace with DSC.

PM6+ finds the files ok so no problem there but I then get the following error:

While renaming an error occurred:

File already exists and overwrite not specified: '/Users/frankfitzpatrick/Images by subject/Spain images all digital/ DSC3185.NEF'.

I previously came across a problem with files being locked and I checked the particular file specified above and it is not locked and other settings allow me to edit etc. Previously found a way of unlocking, or I thought I had unlocked, all the files on my Mac.

Some files have been replaced and PM tells me that.  Does anyone have a suggestion? Suspect the problem is with the Mac, less than 2 years old, but wanted to ask if anyone has come across this and have a solution.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Offline Odd Skjaeveland

• View Profile
Re: Renaming problem
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2022, 07:52:58 AM »
File already exists and overwrite not specified: '/Users/frankfitzpatrick/Images by subject/Spain images all digital/ DSC3185.NEF'.

The error message indicates (to me) that you try to rename _DSC3185.NEF to DSC3185.NEF and that DSC3185.NEF already exists.
--
Odd S.

Offline Frank

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2022, 08:14:53 AM »
Hi Odd thanks for the input.

Yes, I also think that but what I cant grasp is that it is not allowing me to rename it. Other files with the same name have been renamed for example from DSC123 to DSC123A or DSC123B etc does that sound reasonable to you or am I completely off base (again!).

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2022, 09:24:08 AM »
Frank,

How are you renaming the files? The rename tool? Find and Replace? Clicking on the filename and renaming?

Offline Frank

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2022, 12:40:19 AM »
Hi and thanks for your response.

Below is screen error message I receive. 

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2022, 10:24:36 AM »
Hi and thanks for your response.

Below is screen error message I receive.
If there is a filename collision with find and replace, it does not use the collision resolution in preferences. As far as I know, this has always been the behavior, and I am guessing that your previous experience with appending an 'A' was from using the Rename tool rather than Find and Replace.

If you are trying to remove the leading underscore, I would probably recommend the following:
Using Find, use the same string that you are currently using to match all files with a leading underscore. Then, once those files are selected, open the Rename window and enter the following:

{fbas:1}

This will rename all your images with the same file name, but chopping off the first character.

You can read more about why this works here: https://docs.camerabits.com/support/solutions/articles/48001077381-variable-substring-extraction

Offline Frank

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2022, 02:00:05 AM »
Just tried your suggested solution and it works a treat :)

Thanks for your help appreciated