Photo Mechanic > Support

speed of copying in 4.4.3

(1/2) > >>

carynlevy:
Hi Kirk-
I don't know if this is my imagination, or what?  Last week I was amazed at the speed of copying jpgs (while generating thumbnails) compared to the last version of PM.  However, when copying r+j, it seems substantially slower that previous versions.  Am I imagining this?  Can you do a speed test, or should I try reinstalling an older version to test it myself?  Thanks.
Caryn
www.carynlevy.com
www.pgatourimages.com

Kirk Baker:

--- Quote from: carynlevy on May 16, 2006, 10:57:15 AM ---I don't know if this is my imagination, or what?  Last week I was amazed at the speed of copying jpgs (while generating thumbnails) compared to the last version of PM.  However, when copying r+j, it seems substantially slower that previous versions.  Am I imagining this?  Can you do a speed test, or should I try reinstalling an older version to test it myself?
--- End quote ---

Nothing changed between 4.4.2 and 4.4.3 in regards to the Copy dialog.  Drag and drop moving of files was increased dramatically in 4.4.3 on Mac OS X.

4.4.3.1 will add the same move optimizations to the Copy dialog for both Mac OS X and Windows.

As far as the difference in speed in copying goes: you can't compare the speed of copying just JPEGs to copying RAW+JPEG since in the RAW+JPEG case you are copying over twice as much data versus JPEGs alone.  I would expect it to be slower.

-Kirk

carynlevy:
Hi Kirk-
I think you misunderstood me a little.  Of course I know that copying r+j takes longer than jpg alone.  What I was saying is that I think it's taking much longer to copy r+j in 4.4.3 than it did to copy r+j in previous versions.  Like I said...maybe it's my imagination, but it seemed to take forever to copy a folder with 75 r+j last night.
Caryn
www.carynlevy.com
www.pgatourimages.com

Kirk Baker:

--- Quote from: carynlevy on May 16, 2006, 11:31:48 AM ---I think you misunderstood me a little.  Of course I know that copying r+j takes longer than jpg alone.  What I was saying is that I think it's taking much longer to copy r+j in 4.4.3 than it did to copy r+j in previous versions.  Like I said...maybe it's my imagination, but it seemed to take forever to copy a folder with 75 r+j last night.
--- End quote ---

Are you applying IPTC Stationery during the copy?

Also, what OS are you running?

-Kirk

carynlevy:
Kirk-
The folder I happened to be copying last night already had the IPTC info embedded & had been renamed when it was originally injested.  So, I was merely copying a folder of 75 r+j.  My assistant originally dumped the pictures on her MacbookPro which yielded the weird red thumbnails.  I copied the folder to my 1.67 Powerbook via external drive.  Once they were on the pb, I recopied/moved the images to a new folder on my pb in order to generate correct thumbnails.
Caryn
www.carynlevy.com
www.pgatourimages.com

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version