Author Topic: Failure to acknowledge keystrokes  (Read 720 times)

Offline db7178

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Failure to acknowledge keystrokes
« on: September 10, 2022, 10:40:28 PM »
This apparent bug has driven me nuts for years. I have never felt like I could report it, though, because while it happens all day long, I can't pin down why. It's happened across multiple computers dating back to at least 2016, and multiple versions of PM since then. When you hit ALT-x, where x is 1 through 5, so that you can rate a photo or a group of them, sometimes the keystroke is ignored. Then, as though this were programmed as part of the (apparent) bug, when you try to make that happen again, it laughs at you and acknowledges your rating-assignment keystroke. Then you'll right-arrow through 3 or 4 more shots and decide to change a 1-star shot to a 0-star shot and then hit the right arrow key again to go to the next. And you'll notice the previous shot's rating was not changed! The best I could seem to do to duplicate this occurrence tonight was to slap the keystroke combination quickly (as an extremely fast typist would do) and that seemed to cause PM to ignore 30 or 40% of the ALT-x attempted assignments. I'm not sure if I've experienced this with color-class assignments as often or ever (I guess I'm a bad note-taker). But it really does seem like whatever code is monitoring user input is somehow missing it on occasion. Maybe PM is not checking for keystrokes 100% of the time and a user can slip them in between checks (for instance, what if such checks were made every 500 milliseconds?) or it's getting distracted and ignoring keystrokes when busy writing to an XMP file? (Lemme know if you need me to draw any further on my programming experience with Applesoft BASIC from 1989 to 1992.) When you hold down the keys for a good second or three this doesn't seem to happen at all. I wonder if anyone else experiences this? The end result is a bit of a nuisance: It makes a user have to double-check lots of ratings changes.

Update: I just hit right arrow to go to the next image, t to untag, and ALT-0 to de-rate, all fairly quickly. The de-rate keystroke was ignored.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2022, 11:18:55 PM by db7178 »

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Failure to acknowledge keystrokes
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2022, 04:58:23 PM »
I'm assuming you are on Windows by the use of the term "alt" as opposed to "option". Using Windows 10 I tried my best to follow what you were saying reproduces this issue, and I could not seem to do so, by pressing that key sequence as fast as I possibly could. Now, in my case, the data was being written to very fast internal SSD, so if you are writing to a slower destination, I suppose it could be busy writing the update. We have some logging that we could enable to see if it is receiving the keyboard events, but I'd probably also want to see this issue happen in real-time. This usually helps us reproduce an issue that we can't otherwise, and I can help you enable that logging at that time.. Can you reach out to support@camerabits.com so we can set up a time to do this?