Author Topic: Slow incremental ingest  (Read 1109 times)

Offline Eric

• View Profile
Slow incremental ingest
« on: September 13, 2022, 08:06:43 AM »
Hi Kirk,

When doing incremental ingests each subsequent ingest takes longer and longer and LONGER to start.  With a fresh card at the end of the first quarter my ingest will start  instantly. Next quarter it might take a few minutes to start... by the end of a game I am waiting several minutes for an ingest to start.  Is there any way to speed this up short of formatting cards after each ingest?  I am using Delkin 128gb CF Express cards and USB-C 3.2 ports so I know I have the bandwidth and infrastructure to zip though a full card in no time flat.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Slow incremental ingest
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2022, 08:15:29 AM »
Eric,

When doing incremental ingests each subsequent ingest takes longer and longer and LONGER to start.  With a fresh card at the end of the first quarter my ingest will start  instantly. Next quarter it might take a few minutes to start... by the end of a game I am waiting several minutes for an ingest to start.  Is there any way to speed this up short of formatting cards after each ingest?  I am using Delkin 128gb CF Express cards and USB-C 3.2 ports so I know I have the bandwidth and infrastructure to zip though a full card in no time flat.

The more files on the card, the longer it will take to scan the directories for them all and compare them against the list of what has already been ingested.  What file system is on the card?  What OS are you running on your system and which build of Photo Mechanic are you using?

-Kirk

Offline Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2022, 08:29:05 AM »
Windows 10 on the laptop. Filesystem is whatever is native to the Nikon D5/D6 with the latest FW and the PM build would be whatever is the current build.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2022, 12:14:05 PM »
We should try deleting the Incremental Ingest record and allow Photo Mechanic to rebuild it. Please quit Photo Mechanic and the navigate to the following location:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Camera Bits, Inc\Photo Mechanic\ingest

In there, you will see a folder called 'incremental'. Delete this folder and test out incremental Ingest again. Does the delay improve over what you reported when testing out similar numbers of files?

ODThomas

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2022, 07:19:39 AM »
Hi Kirk,

When doing incremental ingests each subsequent ingest takes longer and longer and LONGER to start.  With a fresh card at the end of the first quarter my ingest will start  instantly. Next quarter it might take a few minutes to start... by the end of a game I am waiting several minutes for an ingest to start.  Is there any way to speed this up

New card each quarter. You’re taking the card out to ingest, why not put a new card in? Just a thought.