Author Topic: DNG Converter for Sony Raw  (Read 1234 times)

Offline Mike Burley

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
DNG Converter for Sony Raw
« on: September 15, 2022, 11:18:11 AM »
I downloaded a DNG converter a few years ago and its worked well with PM ver. 6.0 with my Sony A9 (latest firmware). I recently upgraded my second body to an A9ii, and the RAW previews are tiny. The A9 previews are large, its just the new A9ii previews. Any ideas?

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
Re: DNG Converter for Sony Raw
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2022, 11:58:45 AM »
Are you saying the A9ii previews are tiny AFTER running them through the DNG converter? Are you running the latest Adobe DNG Converter? You can specify full-size previews in that application (and you can call the converter from within Photo Mechanic's Tools menu) 

Mick
Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline Mike Burley

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2022, 08:46:38 AM »
Maybe the DNG isn't the issue. I thought it was the plugin running in the background that makes previews full sized. I dont run images through anything other than PM ingest, then view in PM. My A9 previews are 6000x4000, but the previews for my a9ii are only 1616x1080. Both cameras are set up exactly the same (uncompressed raw). Any idea why there's a difference? I assumed DNG ran in the background of PM, sorry. I solved this issue 4 years ago when I purchased my A9, and I cant recall how I resolved it.

When I open files from both A9/A9ii in Lightroom, the images are 6000x4000. Maybe there's an in-camera setting I missed? Thanks!

Online ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2022, 09:20:56 AM »
Maybe the DNG isn't the issue. I thought it was the plugin running in the background that makes previews full sized. I dont run images through anything other than PM ingest, then view in PM. My A9 previews are 6000x4000, but the previews for my a9ii are only 1616x1080. Both cameras are set up exactly the same (uncompressed raw). Any idea why there's a difference? I assumed DNG ran in the background of PM, sorry. I solved this issue 4 years ago when I purchased my A9, and I cant recall how I resolved it.

When I open files from both A9/A9ii in Lightroom, the images are 6000x4000. Maybe there's an in-camera setting I missed? Thanks!

I downloaded sample files from both of these cameras from DPReview, both had 1616x1080 previews. Lightroom renders RAW data to show you an image. Photo Mechanic shows you the embedded Preview. You can enable RAW rendering in Photo Mechanic to have Adobe DNG converter generate a preview for you. This preview will be the same resolution as the RAW, but it will take longer and use more CPU to generate that image.

I've never heard of a setting within these cameras that adjusts the resolution of the embedded preview. Can you send a screenshot of the Preview window in Photo Mechanic where it shows the resolution of the image from your A9 being 6000x4000?

Offline Mike Burley

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2022, 10:34:17 AM »
This is from my A9, I double checked and PM is set to render RAW file with DNG. Both cameras are set to uncompressed RAW (no jpeg).

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2022, 10:52:05 AM »
If you haven't updated your Adobe DNG Converter in a while, please update it.

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/using/adobe-dng-converter.html

-Kirk

Offline Mike Burley

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2022, 10:56:44 AM »
I deleted the version on my Mac and reinstalled from that link already, but I'll poke around and see if there's an additional update.

Offline Mike Burley

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2022, 11:01:47 AM »
Perhaps deleting and reinstalling DNG worked, I just quit PM and restarted and its rendering correctly for both cameras now. Thanks Kirk!