Author Topic: Problem with 4.5 beta 2  (Read 7129 times)

Offline Wolvie

• View Profile
Problem with 4.5 beta 2
« on: May 11, 2007, 09:27:08 PM »
Using the navigator I just tried twice to "Open folder and subfolders in contact sheet" command.  The folder I've tried to open has three levels of subfolders like this

----------------------------------------
-Burn
 - Archive
       - 03-25-07 sports
       - 04-17-07 news assignments
       - 05-02-07 sports

----------------------------------------
There are a total of 4300 files in this structure.  PM will not display any thumbnails nor previews of the files.  I had no problem opening each folder individually.  When I close the contact sheet there is a system hangup and PM stops working completely.  The window does not refresh and their is no hard drive activity.  When I try to close the PM window I get an error that says PM is not responding. 

PM works fine if I open a folder with several child folders at the same level.  If there are three levels, PM hangs.

I also tried opening a folder that contains subfolders with 34K plus low res files (23 to 120K in size - all jpg).  I got a message that says something to the effect that "...0x7c2821b2 reference memory...0x0000001c. Memory could not be read."  A win crash log was sent after this message appeared.

Offline Wolvie

• View Profile
Re: Problem with 4.5 beta 2
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 09:39:01 PM »
I moved all the folders up one level and PM still crashes and will not display the thumbnail or preview files.  I know you've said in the past that PM can display an unlimited number of images, but it looks like at the moment after a 1000 or so opened in a single contact sheet it crashes.

The reason for so many files in a single directory or series of subdirectories is because I want to maintain the original dated coded folder when I burn DVD archives.

~W

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 09:16:19 AM »
I moved all the folders up one level and PM still crashes and will not display the thumbnail or preview files.  I know you've said in the past that PM can display an unlimited number of images, but it looks like at the moment after a 1000 or so opened in a single contact sheet it crashes.

The reason for so many files in a single directory or series of subdirectories is because I want to maintain the original dated coded folder when I burn DVD archives.

I have personally opened more than 200 folders and 20,000 images in a single contact sheet and it worked extremely well.

I'll see if I can reproduce your issue.

-Kirk

Offline Wolvie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 09:49:14 PM »
Okay...

I figured out the problem  ;D

PM hangs up when it encounters a file type it does recognize.   The culprit looks to be the .mpg extension.  Once it scans a folder with a mpg file in it, it freezes.   To see what I mean stick a meg file in any folder with jpeg files.  The thumbnails will not display or a couple will before the program crashes.

~ Wolvie

P.S. - Is there any way you could have PM render thumbs of Ulead's UFO files?  I can send one if that helps.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 09:59:23 PM »
Okay...

PM hangs up when it encounters a file type it does recognize.   The culprit looks to be the .mpg extension.  Once it scans a folder with a mpg file in it, it freezes.   To see what I mean stick a meg file in any folder with jpeg files.  The thumbnails will not display or a couple will before the program crashes.

~ Wolvie

P.S. - Is there any way you could have PM render thumbs of Ulead's UFO files?  I can send one if that helps.

Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed?

If you want me to support a file format, I would indeed need a set of sample files.  Contact me privately for server upload information.

-Kirk

Offline Wolvie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 10:08:27 PM »
Okay...

~ Wolvie

Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed?

If you want me to support a file format, I would indeed need a set of sample files.  Contact me privately for server upload information.

-Kirk

Will send a PM about getting to you sample files.

No I don't have the latest version of QT installed.  I don't use it (I have editing software that use for viewing mpg files I create or download) and would rather not have it on my desktop/laptop.  If I do install it will this solve this issue?   I suppose there is no way around it?

Offline Wolvie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 10:23:54 PM »
I couldn't wait... so I installed the latest QT application and the issue is now resolved.  Thank you for helping me solve this issue.

Cheers,
~W

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 01:28:30 PM »
Okay...

I tried uninstalling QuickTime on my development system and then browsing a folder with various file types, including MPG, MP4, MOV, AVI, and JPEGs and had no problems at all.  The previously rendered images showed up with proxy images now that QT was missing but no hangs, crashes, etc.

Any ideas on getting me able to reproduce this issue on my end?

Thanks,

-Kirk