Author Topic: Handling of duplicate files in a directory on an APFS case-sensitive filesystem.  (Read 845 times)

Offline ps23Rick

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hi all.. I just started playing around with PM last night.  I turned it loose on a directory on my MacBook Pro containing a mix of images..

Not long after starting to play around and move files around into culled folders, I rather quickly noticed something was off..

I had put this directory together the night before and it's got duplicates -- things like "IMG_0153.HEIC" and "IMG_0153.heic".. My system is using an APFS case sensitive setup so these happily co-exist next to each other.  But they're two separate files.

But PM only shows one of the two.. Only after I move one of the pictures I've reviewed (e.g. "IMG_0153.heic") into another folder, PM instead of shrinking the list of files by one (in this case), it leaves a black box with some small text saying "file error .. contact sheet rescan needed".  I think I've confused it unfortunately. Thoughts?  Maybe I've got something setup wrong or ??

I've attached some images that might show a little better what I'm seeing..

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Photo Mechanic is only going to show one of those two files at a time due to how it handles filename collisions of files within the same folder.

However, I was able to reproduce the issue where when one of those files disappears from that folder and Photo Mechanic is then unable to render the preview for the next one, so that will get a bug report.

Offline ps23Rick

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Ok. Thanks!  I appreciate you taking the time to look into that.  I’ll plan on weeding out the dupes separately ahead of PM looking around.  Thanks!