Author Topic: File Missing Errors  (Read 936 times)

Offline dbvirago

• View Profile
File Missing Errors
« on: October 09, 2022, 03:10:45 PM »
I used to get this error occasionally, but now it happens every time I try to move or delete a file that I select in the thumbnails. I select a file or files to move and drag them to a different folder. I immediately get the error, which I cancel. The files have been moved as expected. Sometimes the program crashes following the error. Any ideas?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: File Missing Errors
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2022, 03:25:39 PM »
I used to get this error occasionally, but now it happens every time I try to move or delete a file that I select in the thumbnails. I select a file or files to move and drag them to a different folder. I immediately get the error, which I cancel. The files have been moved as expected. Sometimes the program crashes following the error. Any ideas?

Does the problem only happen with drag and drop or does it happen with the Copy/Move Photos dialog as well?

-Kirk

Offline dbvirago

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2022, 03:42:30 PM »
Drag and drop. I just noticed the .dop extension indicating the missing files are DxO sidecars. I'll have to do more research because, I only process in DxO after I've finished metadata in PM, so not sure 1) why the file was there to begin with and 2) why it's missing now.

Offline dbvirago

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2022, 03:31:19 PM »
Okay, I still haven't figured out why these .dop files exist since AFAIK, they haven't been touched by DxO.

But I did confirm the file reported as missing does exist. After the move and clearing the error, the .raf and .xmp files were moved and the .dop file was left behind.

On the next file, I deleted the .dop file before moving it with no error, so DxO was not looking for it.

Finally, I closed DxO before the next move. No error and the .dop file got moved.

So, it seems to me this lies with DxO, but wanted to give you an update.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2022, 03:35:11 PM »
Okay, I still haven't figured out why these .dop files exist since AFAIK, they haven't been touched by DxO.

But I did confirm the file reported as missing does exist. After the move and clearing the error, the .raf and .xmp files were moved and the .dop file was left behind.

On the next file, I deleted the .dop file before moving it with no error, so DxO was not looking for it.

Finally, I closed DxO before the next move. No error and the .dop file got moved.

So, it seems to me this lies with DxO, but wanted to give you an update.

It may be that their software is keeping that file open as a way of preventing that file (and potentially the image file) from being moved.

-Kirk